S:t Vitus Cast1 - Thomas

This board is for the January 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:09 pm

Here is a first try. Hints were quite helpful.
Thomas

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:13 pm

Thomas,

You have done a good job on the color but the brightness is a bit off.
Take the image you have posted and apply the ACV file I have attached...the highlight end of the L curve needs some help...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:54 pm

Thanks for good tip. On my screen the details in the shadows disappeared a bit but highlights much better. Pls note I have a rather normal monitor not specially designed for this type of work.
Thomas

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:54 pm

My monitor is visually calibrated only.  I have not done anything special with mine but I will keep that in mind.  Is yours a CRT or a LCD monitor type??

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:51 pm

A LCD ViewSonic VP930.
Was surprised you do not calibrate your monitor?
//Thomas

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:22 pm

So far.....

I use a visual program to calibrate the monitor.  I have not had any "issues" with the printed output from either my printer nor my professional printer.  I run the program every month just to check but under the conditions I work I rarely find any adjustment needed.

The hardest step for me was going to LCD after working on a CRT for many years.  That took a bit of adjusting...
I do not do any press work at this time so there are some slack areas that have not effected my results beyond acceptable limits.

Acceptable limits to me may be very different than they are for you or anyone else. 

I know that many are now averting their eyes from the train wreck to come for me when the system breaks down but... I have found that quick prints from my printer are quite close to the visual results on the screen and I actually have better results overall on the printed page than on the monitor since the monitor cannot show everything the printer can print.  Many times I'll print a quick 4X6 to see if the sharpening or color correction I have made is "real" or screen effect.

Bottom line is it works for me today...Have I considered Calibration?...yes...Have I made the leap??  I currently have no need to but I keep waiting for the "break" that forces me to go....

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:01 pm

Greg
I send pictures to a lab with Adobe RGB profile. Thats how they want it and mostly pictures are ok when I get them. I have no good printer myself:( Cheap Canon which is cheap in many respects but each photo expensive (ink does not last).

I was not too happy either when converting from CRT to LCD. But after bying a bulk Gretag from Michael Tapes things cleared up a bit.
Still it is a pity monitor does not handle Adobe RGB 100% but it works acceptable for my needs. But at one point I was quite frustrated by developed photos not looking like what I saw on screen.
Thomas 

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:40 pm

Actually, the threshold tool in CM does a fair job of showing you what detail you are missing visually.  Shadows that look blocked up on the monitor may print better...

I use the threshold tool for most of the images where the shadow or highlight is questionable.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 January 2009”