Who are we?

This board is for the January 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
kessi

Postby kessi » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:07 am

Hi all,
Maybe some will think this is nosy, but in a real class we would by now know a little about each other.
It is always nice to have some idea why we all are interested in doing the same course.
Well, I'll get the ball rolling.

My name is Irmgard Kaiser and my screen name is Kessi. I am South African and I live in Clarens, a little village in the foothills of the Maluti Mountains which are part of the Drakensberg range. After my retirement I moved to Clarens from Pretoria some years ago.
This is a most wonderful place to live in. It is a hiker's and photographer's paradise.
I've been doing photography for most of my life and found the change to digital exhilirating although I look at my old 35mm Canon camera equipment with a lot of nostalgia.
I am an enthusiastic but average photographer.  I use a Canon 400D/XTi but have no problem with Nikons.  ;) I just cannot afford them.
We have a tiny photographic club here in Clarens with about 9 members and once a month we meet in our garage to show our photos and have a talk on something interesting.
The reason I am doing this course is to really understand CurveMeister 'cause I think it is immensly powerful. Using the Help manual did not give me enough information and I always prefer a hands-on way of learning.
Oh, there are also five dogs who are part of our lives.
Thats it.

kessi

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:15 pm

Kessi,

THANK YOU!!!

We usually get this done during the first week but people were so quick to jump into corrections that we kind of skipped on by.  My name is Greg Groess.  sorry bad joke....

I live and work in Minneapolis Minnesota.  I have been a photographer for over 25 years and grew up processing B&W film in my bathroom.  My dad was also a photographer so my parents were ok with the chemistry.  I have worked in commercial and portrait photography.  As of the last 5 years I have been doing mostly Wedding and Portrait.  I taught Basic Photography and color printing courses in a local community college for a while and really enjoy exploring topics related to photography. 

In my film days I was a Minolta and Bronica user.  In the digital world I have switched to Nikon.  Curvemeister is my "photographic club" so to speak I learn more from all of you and i am pushed in new directions constantly.  I met Mike Russell the writer of Curvemeister a few years back by buying his program and taking his class.  I bugged the heck out of him regarding my usage of the plug in and he just kept answering my questions...next thing I know I'm assisting him in the class; and then over the last year pretty much teaching it while He writes new code and takes vacations....

My wife and I are in the "drive the cars and write the checks" phase of raising two teenage boys 12 and 15. Our Standard Poodle Abby keeps us busy as well.

Welcome everyone to the class and I hope you are getting all the information you can possibly use here...If you are not please let me know.

Greg

Gary

Postby Gary » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:50 pm

Great idea, my name is Gary and I live in Dryden Ontario Canada, about 100 miles north of the U.S. border and half way between Winnipeg, Manitoba and Thunder Bay, Ont. Dryden is a small town of about 80000.

My wife of 50 years is Marg and we have two sons Garth & Darcy. My interest in photography I guess started when I was about ten years old when I got my first camera for selling garden seeds from an add on the back of a comic book, as I got older I got my first 35mm and took mainly slides. I then put a darkroom in my basement and started taking weddings and portrait, at that time all black and white. Soon I got too busy and left may job at the local mill to open a camera store and studio downtown and about a year later a photo mini lab. This went on for about 15 years but got to be too much with a young family so I sold everything to two brothers I had working for me, they are still in operation.
I then went to work at the local airport till retirement. I did not do any photography for many years, and along came digital. I presently own a Nikon D80 and a D300 and a couple of extra lens, selling the D80. I spend my summers fishing, gardening and taking pictures and the winters on the computer with Photoshop  and bugging my wife. And life is good.

GAry

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:24 pm

Nice idea:)
My name is Thomas and I live in Malmö, Sweden. I am married with Marianne and have a son 25 years old and two cats. I work as an consultant with wind power. My two main hobbies are photography and orchids. If possible I try to combine them.

My interest in photography started about 40 years ago when I borrowed my fathers Canon camera and took some B&W photos. Later on I got access to a lab where I could process my own photos and ever since that i have enjoyed my hobby.

Nowadays I take photos with a Canon EOS 40D and a LX3. All photos are taken in raw with some basic adjustments and profiling made in Capture One and after that doing final adjustment in PSE, if needed. Pls note enclosed photo has not been corrected in any way. I just look like that:)

I really like curves and challenges and realy appreciate to be possible to take part in this class and learn a lot.

Thomas

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:32 pm

I love my orchids....

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:10 pm

This Besseae is still alive:)
Thomas
PS Flowers in succession for about 3 months. DS

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:42 pm

beautiful...how long does that last??

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:01 pm

My name is Mark, I'm 33 and I live in Ireland, 8 years so far. Originally I am from Latvia. My daughter is 5 months old. On the picture she is 12 days. She is adorable.

Photography is family hobby. Now we got our own model at home, mmm kinda hard to work with her at this stage but in future...
My wife thinks of taking pro photography course. I study Photoshop. It's hard to plan now, recession in Ireland is huge, but we are optimist and looking for good course.

kessi

Postby kessi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi Mark,
what a cute little girl. I can see by the profile that she looks like daddy. I'm sure you will have lots of photo opportunities with her. Thanks for sharing.
kessi

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:22 pm

Mark
Very nice photo :)
Thomas

Return to “Curvemeister 101 January 2009”