Fruit Vendor - Thomas

This board is for the January 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:08 pm

I think this one is ok. Easy to oversaturate colours. Used only CM Lab.
Thomas

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:58 pm

And so the chase begins.... ;D
Can you get rid of the "stronger" color casts in the frame of the window??

You can say no...but I'd have to bug you to try.....

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:09 pm

What a task :- Did a lot of changes with setting different and several neutrals in RGB. Did also do some final colour adjustments in CMYK. But it took quite some time and did not find a smart way to do it. Understand your grin. But here is the best I could do regarding cast on that (damn) picture.
Thomas

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:33 am

Ok...I have to be more careful about what I ask for.... ;)
First of all..Wow that window is neutral....Great job....

Now. because the reflections are really there they can be left to some extent.  If you have a slight color cast in this image it is believable.  the part that suffers under my harsh light of critique is the fruit....

So all that said how about a realistic version that makes the fruit look delicious and allows for some reflected colors just not as strong as the original...

BTW you probably learned a whole bunch trying to do what you did....

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:56 pm

Realy have to fight this one. Maybe a bit cold but cast and colours of most frouits acceptable. My opinion.
Yes I learned a bit. I hope
Thomas

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:51 pm

New try. Pls see screen shot. Got a slight red cast which I corrected in Lab, see second picture. Still not satisfied, carrots just do not look natural. Probably I have corrected too much!
Thomas
PS I would say this is my worst try on this picture. Thomas

kessi

Postby kessi » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:42 pm

Hi Thomas,
I think you are doing what I have been doing, namely getting too intense. I got so panicked with the Children's Drawing, the Merry-Go-Round and the Pumpkins. Just start all over again with the picture and do slight changes. It also helped me to re-read the assignment instructions. It gave me a bit of perspective. Not that it always comes right but at least the changes have to do are then not so extreme.

kessi

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:25 pm

The whole "How much should I adjust?" question is a matter of experience with the tool and your preferences for color and lighting.

Trouble is, once you see how much you can do, every image looks like it could use an adjustment.....Kind of like, if all you have is a good hammer everything looks like a nail.  Mostly we are teaching you to use the tools and evaluate what you are doing.  Eventually the adjustments become more subtle. 

We like you to go full blast here in class so you can see what your tools are...you get to apply as needed....

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:08 pm

Kessi
Agree. Just what I did before I read your mail. In my last? try on this picture I have concentrated on the upper and lower frames. If you try to correct for everything things go crazy. I think this is my best effort up to now.
Thomas

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:36 am

Here is the above example adjusted with some inreasing the contrast of saturation in HSB mode. At last I think the photo looks quite ok. Pls note when doing the HSB adjustment some colour cast in shadows/highlights disapeared.
Thomas

Return to “Curvemeister 101 January 2009”