Statue of Liberty - kessi

This board is for the January 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
kessi

Postby kessi » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Example 6 Statue of Liberty

I first used the HSB mode to work on this image. I wondered about the background sky. I worked on the premises that it was not blue, but possibly a washed-out grey.

Hue: 246; 251
Saturation: 51;68
Brightness: 66;80

I then tried the LAB mode and I preferred my result where I used the Saturation scale at 1.40.

Light Threshold: lightness input: 75; output: 100
Shadow Threshold:  input: 8, output: 0
Then on the L curve I created a two point curve with input: 32 and output: 43 and the second one 60 and 85 respectively.

But then I compared the LAB with the HSB and found that I had more detail in the torch of the HSB version. The image was just a bit too dark. I increased the brightnes in CM on the HSB version and I like it now.

kessi

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:06 pm

Kessi
I think there is a kind of hazel in the picture and contrast could be better. I took it and made some adjustments in LAB, see screenshot. Set H and S (with threshold) plus lightened face a bit and increased colours a bit. Also include the adjusted picture.
Thomas

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:14 pm

The adjustments Thomas made to your image increased the contrast which was lacking overall for the image that removed the "haze".  How do you feel about the saturation??  To me it is a preference and very subjective.

In this class we tend to push saturation hard especially this week when you are asked to work in HSB.  You are not required to over saturate but we tend to be "color flat" overall; and so in CM class we ask you to push it hard....

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:28 pm

Agree that satuartion is a bit high. Would not have dared to do it if I had not found similar colour on the net on pictures of the same subject. Quite famous I presume.
Thomas

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:46 pm

Not a criticism... more of a subjective question...

Personally, I prefer it to be very saturated but I have to be careful.  There are many who think the web is full of over saturated images that are in dire need of removal. 

We push color here because one of the artifacts of some of the corrections you do is a de-saturation of the image overall...so we want you to push the color to the point of over saturation and then back off to reality. 

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:47 pm

Greg
Did not take it as a criticism. Only wanted to say that I hade some thought on the matter before sending picture.

I think saturation is more a personal issue/taste like many other things. There is often not a right or wrong.

My favourite pictures are still my old B&W pictures which I took of Jazz musicians. Maybe because I did all the work myself and it took some time. Take the photo with TRI-X film, choose a developer (D-76?), develop and enlarge the picture. Yes they are/were a bit grainy. But there was no colour distracting from the expression of the musicians!

Today I think there is sometimes too much colur but on the other hand I realy liked Velvia for nature photos so....

Thomas

kessi

Postby kessi » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:09 pm

Having looked around the internet and seen many pictures of the Statue of Liberty, I realise that the Lady is actually quite green. Thomas, I like your version and I see what Greg means about pushing the saturation. My sky is still way too hazy, so back to the drawing board.
kessi

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:58 pm

Thomas...

You are taking me down Memory Lane....
I miss the smell of the photographic process...I too love a good B&W image and we can cover some of that in the class work...
CM can help you improve the B&W conversions you do...

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 January 2009”