Duck by kessi

This board is for the January 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
kessi

Postby kessi » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:50 am

I used the wizard for both pictures.
LAB mode
My first attempt at the duck gave me too much of a green cast and I was losing definition in the white belly feathers.
On my next run I wiggled the grey on the ring until I thought it looked  right.
My RGB attempt looked fine and I thought I got it similar to the LAB one but after comparing the pictures I prefer the LAB one to RGB.
RGB comes out a bit flat.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:46 pm

Kessi
Think both pictures are very good. But personally I prefer the RGB Duck. Stands out better from background  and prefer the green colour of the grass in the background. I found it more difficult to set neutral in LAB mode until I learned that it was possible to set sample size in menu or right click to 3x3 (had 5x5).
Thomas

kessi

Postby kessi » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:25 pm

Hi Thomas,
I think you are right. I have sat back and looked at both duck pictures and the RGB is nicer. The dark back feathers are a bit lighter showing some colour without losing too much definition in the white feathers.
I have been going through my Exercises at a rate of knots because I lost so much time whith my PC out of action, that I am not analysing the pictures properly.
Thanks for your tip on the sample size and thanks for your comment.

kessi

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:17 pm

The LAB duck also appears to have a slight Magenta cast.  The neutral setting is very important to this image this is a good lesson in What Dan Margulis would call "betting the image" on the neutral.

Both correction are good for this section of the class. 

You bring up a great lesson that I will address in another posting...Image analysis....Something we all should do before jumping into the deep end and adjusting the curves...

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 January 2009”