Save my Image.....

This board is for the January 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:44 pm

Just gave it a try - worked on the highlights/shadows in PS to decrease contrast a little bit, then used the CM wizard - lab mode, black point, no white point, pin for skin tones then adjusted the sliders.

Joe

Good work...I also like your correction for this image....I must be getting soft....lol

Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:46 pm

I got an odd  brightness curve trying to get some detailto the far shore.A lift and slight shift to the left for the sat curve in HSB
Second image has Red channel dropped 5 points to 219 in RGB,less red sails in the sunset.GreM

Greg,
You killed off the red but overall the contrast is still problematic.  Brighten it up overall...

Greg

Gary

Postby Gary » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:03 pm

I used curves in CM-RGB added a bit of contrast then lightened a bit then went back to PS and did a minor adjustment in shadows/highlights.
I tried  quite a bit with pinning but could not get anything I liked seemed I always got a major color shift to the whole image. First time I tried pinning I will need to look more int it.

Gary

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:11 am

The pins are tricky at first because the pin has attributes as to what parts of the color space it is pinning.  You can have a pin set in various "modes".

To get to the modes there is a small arrow in the top right corner of the pin dialog  the bottom icon is a push pin marker that allows you to turn the pin on or off as needed for comparison.

The top pin opens the menus shown in the Greg001.jpg image.
Please play around and ask more questions this is all great stuff to get going on....

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:46 am

Greg,after trying HSB I went with a slight lizzard tail to bring out bathing suit and tiller detail,then a by the numbers for shadow,highlight and neut.Last pass was a lift to sat in HSB.Iwanted to see if it would emphasize the cylindrical shape of the gunwales a la the pumpkins. i dont think so.GregM

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:38 pm

Did some work in LAB Curves and used furtheron vibrance in CS4 and lightened somewhat the skin in curves mith masking, don't know what to do in Curves

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:35 pm

You have done a fair job on this...

using the curves is why you are here...we'll get you up to speed on curves by the end....Hang in there.

Greg

kessi

Postby kessi » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:51 pm

Phew, I found this quite a tough task.
I opened the picture in CM and using the Wizard in LAB I used black, white and the skin tool. Manually further adjusted the Light, a and b panels. Once back in PSE I wasn't happy with the red lifejacket. It had a cherry red hue. Back in CM I right-clicked and marked the jacket. Quite a cool tool. I manually adjusted the a + b panel sliders for the red. Back in PSE I selected the white parts of the boat (they seemed a bit blown out) and the dark water. Adjusted with Light-Shadow tool. The boys still looked too dark so I selected them and used Light-Shadow again. It looks better now, but I feel that I did way too many keystrokes and haven't utilised CurveMeister enough.
kessi

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:40 pm

All of the items you listed you wanted to fix can be done in CM...Hang in there...This week is for play and testing and eye opening....
When it comes to adjusting color in LAB another tool in CM that might help is the "Pin Grid" command.
See Screen Shot..... Just right click on the grid and you will get the menus....

Return to “Curvemeister 101 January 2009”