Week 5 Lemur [manda]

This board is for the March 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:36 am

I'm not brilliant at using masks.

I tried multiple neutrals in RGB without success.
Found I was able to do it in LAB.
Used the skin mask which created 'leaks' in the fur (see screen shot).
Tided up mask in PS.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:15 am

Mandy,
The real key to this is being able to "see" where the mask "can" go...

For instance...

Look at the A curve in LAB.  Shot1.
It doesn't look like much does it...But what color are you trying to prevent from getting over saturated?  Red...
Here's the thing...
Red in the A channel is lighter than all the greens.  If you increase the contrast on the mask by rotating the curve rather than applying a curve you get a much stronger mask. Place the mouse in the lower border of the A channel. You get a curved double headed arrow and Left click and hold and you will rotate. Keep holding the left click and move the mouse to the right and watch the curve rotate on the axis. You then can get to this. Shot2.
Now....
Since I want no change to the eyes but I want everything else to get a color boost I can invert the mask by rotating the curve past the vertical.
Shot 3.
Now for the fun part and where you really get the most mileage out of Cures and masking...

Slide the curve to the right...To do this click on the bottom point of the curve and then control click on the top point you will see the red dashed lines around the curve and across the points.  You have now created a contrast pin without right clicking.  Use the arrow keys to move the whole curve to the left or right until you get rid of all the black except the eyes. 

Click on the "All" Button and adjust the saturation.

Shot 5 shows what the extreme saturation slider does to the lemurs but note the eyes are quite safe...

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 March 2009”