Copy a Mask to clipboard

This board is for the March 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:52 am

In the previous lesson we copied a channel to the clipboard so that we could use it as a layer mask in Photoshop (the example where we changed the color of the dog).  Is there an analagous method to copy a mask to the clipboard?

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:57 pm

The CM masks that you are creating are channel based.  You would always be coping a channel from CM.  The copy is "to" the clipboard and then you paste it into the layer mask area.  You can use the mask for anything you want from the clipboard. 

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:42 pm

I can't get a mask to copy to the clipboard.  I am working on the Sun Mook Lake image and trying to copy the K mask to the clipboard.  I'm using the "Copy Channel" button on the main toolbar.  Something gets copied to the clipboard, but it's not the K mask. 

Any thoughts?

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:33 am

I have had this issue with the image just as you have...
My shot 1 is the K mask I created.
Shot2 is the mask as pasted to the layer in PS. 
It only seems to be this image..I'll have Mike look at the source file maybe it's messed up.

Try copying something else to the clip board and then opening PS and try it again. 
It seems like sometimes with this image the mask copy is inverted and it gets stuck on the clipboard.
You can also try another channel like L the results will not be as good but it should be do-able.
I always thought it was just me being Lazy...or forgetful...
Looks like a slight bug for Mike...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:00 pm

Interesting. I get the same result as you do with the Sun Moon Lake image.  But I tried another image and it worked fine!

-Jay

Return to “Curvemeister 101 March 2009”