Two more questions!

This board is for the March 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:46 pm

1) There can be some nasty hue changes when I look at an image that's been uploaded to the web.  It seems to be most pronounced with skies; for example, I can get the hue clock to be right at 7:30 in CurveMeister (and in Photoshop) but when I look at the image online it's at more like 7:00.  What is happening and how can I avoid this?    (Another thing that happens to an online image is that skin loses saturation.)

2) I usually have the standalone hue clock program running when I'm in Photoshop.  I leave it on when I open CurveMeister.  However, I notice a significant difference between the reading of the standalone hue clock when compared to the reading of hue clocks that are built into CurveMeister (such as the one adjacent to the curves and the ones that are associated with sample points.)  The seems to happen in Lab mode but not in RGB.  In Lab, the built-in hue clocks are about 20 minutes counterclockwise of the standalone hue clocks.  Is there an explanation for this.

Thanks.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:38 am

Jay,

Do you have a custom profile assigned to the images?  Most web based apps use the sRGB color space. If you are outputting to another space or a variation of RGB you will see color shifts.  There is usually a slight difference in appearance but most of the time that is due to monitor calibration rather than color space.  If the numbers are changing...check the color space you are saving in the save as dialog.

The stand alone hue clock is showing the screen values and the hue clocks in CM are showing the image values inside the file you are editing.. When you are correcting in PS or PSE you should alt-click to drop a hue clock on the image from within CM.  It sounds like your monitor might be way off calibration if there is that significant of a difference.  You might want to look into calibration...

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 March 2009”