Jay - Week 3 - Berkeley Drummers

This board is for the March 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:34 am

This photo is so Berkeley...

First pass in Lab to drive and correct skin tones.
Second pass in RGB to try to remove blue cast from shadows.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:45 pm

Jay,

The skin tones of the back 2 drummers need help.  The front guy looks "OK" but the other two look like liver transplant waiting list guys...  They are too yellow.  Also The shadows are still blue...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:47 pm

Take #2.  Tried to shift the faces away from yellow, and tried again to get some of the blue cast out of the shadows.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:17 am

Much better...

The remaining issues are subtle and need further explanation. 
Looking at my screen shot you need to see the following items....

I took your image and made the changes shown.  So if you apply similar changes you should see similar things come out. 

1) The neutral is really another kind of pin.  It pins whatever point you set it to be neutral...we've covered this but here is the twist.  It also holds the curve in place while you make other adjustments. In RGB you can pin a shadow that should be neutral and then go adjust the mid tones or the highlights.  With your image I pinned the neutral as shown but I wanted to drive the blue out even further so I placed a hue clock on the point I saw the most blue and adjusted it to be nearly neutral as well.  I can after all have more than 1 neutral in RGB.

2) The skin tones...Mike is really smart or really devious I leave it to you to determine which is which.  The skin tones of the three players are all related in that the they need to be in what Mike calls the 12:30 position.  When it comes to skin tones the clock position is more of a mile marker.  You can never go wrong it the hand on the hue clock is slightly to the right of 12.  How far depends on the skin tone and the lighting.  When you look at the front left player and set a hue clock on the face it is to the left of 12 and therefore too red...because the skin tone is in a different brightness area we can adjust it to move the hue clock hand back to the right.  There are 2 ways to do this .  1 will drive you nuts one will be difficult at first but easier as you think it through. To go nuts simply try moving the red channel.  You will mess up the other two players too much. 

Instead, adjust the other two channels to make the hue clock move.  You will need the red in the other faces since they have a different skin hue and they are currently in a decent position on the hue clock.  The other two channels can be adjusted instead.  Note the blue and green adjustments.  This is a variation on the color by the numbers correction.  The markers in the middle of the Red, Green and Blue curves are "control" points and only serve to keep the curve from pivoting too far as I made my correction the rest of the curve started to bend.  I frequently add these control points so I do not mess up the rest.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 March 2009”