Week 2 - Jay

This board is for the March 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:11 am

Children's Drawings

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:04 pm

Pumpkins

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:28 pm

Question:

In working on the Taiwan Holiday Wreath in CMYK, I notice that (1) the shadow and highlight pins have strange effects and the neutral pin has no effect, and (2) the hue clock doesn't operate.  Is all of this to be expected?

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:56 pm

Fruit Vendor's Window

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:46 am

Question:

In working on the Taiwan Holiday Wreath in CMYK, I notice that (1) the shadow and highlight pins have strange effects and the neutral pin has no effect, and (2) the hue clock doesn't operate.  Is all of this to be expected?

It should work...hmmm..
Describe the strange effects you are seeing...The pin mode might not be working right I'll try it out too...
Same for the hue clock it should show whatever color space you have chosen.

I am running version 3.0.12 Mine is functional on both questions.my hue clock is set to LAB .One thing I noted, the fist pin I set was a highlight and it kind of messed up the image for a second until i moved the pin then all was well.  Interesting effect.  I'll see if i can reproduce it...

Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:07 am

Fruit Vendor's Window

Jay,
You have done a fair job of getting the table and lower frame neutral...quite the challenge no doubt...
Try adjusting the L curve just a bit to open up the shadows and reduce the contrast.  Since you have the black on the left you need to lift the heel of the curve just a bit.  Not too far but soften the image just a bit and you might find the magenta in the right frame looks more presentable.  remember in LAB you have only 1 neutral so you have to choose in this devil of an image.  Try it in RGB and see if you can get any further.  This is another tough image that gives people fits. 

You are already ahead of the pack on this so do not feel like you missed it at all.  It's all about choices.

Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:14 am

Pumpkins

Jay,
I have attached a ACV file to this posting.  Try loading it and let me know if it looks too light on your monitor.  For me this image is also pretty deep in the shadow end of the curve.  My ACV opens the shadows and adjusts the saturation just a bit.  Let me know if it blows out the highlights on your monitor.  I would hate to be telling you to adjust the shadows only to find that you monitor looks just fine...

If it improves the image note the adjustment to the shadow end of the brightness curve.  Also note tha the Saturation adjustment started at 50 and move only a tiny bit from your base image...

Fix the shadows and you have it pretty well done.

Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:16 am

Children's Drawings

I was going to have you adjust the L curve in Lab but I think you have done this just fine...as i keep saying it's about choices..you seem to be making good ones...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:08 am

I'm running 3.0.8.  In wgCMYK the hue clock doesn't work, nor do the highlight, shadow, and neutral pins.

Question:

It should work...hmmm..
Describe the strange effects you are seeing...The pin mode might not be working right I'll try it out too...
Same for the hue clock it should show whatever color space you have chosen.

I am running version 3.0.12 Mine is functional on both questions.my hue clock is set to LAB .One thing I noted, the fist pin I set was a highlight and it kind of messed up the image for a second until i moved the pin then all was well.  Interesting effect.  I'll see if i can reproduce it...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:21 am

Holiday Wreath

Return to “Curvemeister 101 March 2009”