Week 2 Images [manda]

This board is for the March 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:21 am

I found this photo very frustrating which surprised me as I use a K curve on the K channel regularly to give the appearance of sharpness.  I think this is a Dan M trick which I found in http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=48066

I could recover the shadows if I followed exactly what the video did, but could never repeat the effect manually.  Once I was happy with the shadows, I'd brought in some colour shifts which weren't acceptable.  Hey Ho.

Edit - I was sure I'd took a screen shot of the curves, but obviously not.

thanks Mandy

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:09 pm

Manda,

Could you post a bigger version?
When I go into PS the shadows get blocked up something awful and you know how that pains me...

I'd really like to see what you are doing... ::)

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:03 am

Hi, 

I'll skip the above for the moment as it needs some serious rethinking.

I've enjoyed the below as I remember struggling with it last time.  In the last class I did two passes using a mask for the fruit and the metal cart.  This time I tried to avoid masking as I remember Mike telling me I'd left inherent colour casts on the fruit via the masking.

It's still not there yet; I can't get the frame neutral on all points (that top left part is a bugger) and think I should watch the Abe video again (but I have an appointment with Clint Eastwood this morning).

I used LAB on the first pass and then tried saturation / brightness adjustments.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:06 am

Mandy,
That looks positively delicious...You did get something out of the last class then...

Nicely done.
Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:54 am

I'm being stubborn about the wreath image.  I used the solutions to help me and realised that I was using completely the wrong approach in the first attempt.

I did one attempt reading the solution (V2) with a completely fresh approach after the video (V3). Neither is correct, but I definitely have a better idea now.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:12 am

For V2 see shot 1 attached...

There needs to be more done with the shadows I'm fighting it a bit myself.  The yellow and cyan curves are just a bit off...

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:17 am

For V3 see shot attached.

It is better to have a bit more yellow in the trees and less in the wreath.
The K channel is also missing a bit again i tried not to hard to fix K...I had to leave something for you...

Say Hi to Clint for me...I'm certain he is more satisfying than Abe...

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 March 2009”