Curvemeister does "Color By The Numbers"

This board is for the June 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:47 pm

This week the lesson touches on Color By The Numbers.  
Attached to this posting you will find links to a few goodies for you to try out.

The first is a PDF document and an image.  
The PDF is a walk through for color correction by the numbers using Curvemeister.

The PDF is here:
www.curvemeister.com/video/greg/color_correction_by_the_numbers.pdf

The image is here.
www.curvemeister.com/video/greg/dan_and_friend.JPG  
Right Click and "save link as" should download it.

Next on the list is a short video of another color by the numbers correction and the image for you to use.

www.curvemeister.com/video/greg/rgb_btn.swf

and the image:

www.curvemeister.com/video/greg/Dan-Hat.jpg  
Right Click and save link as should download it.

Happy Curving!
Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:43 am

Hi Greg:

Never noticed before that there are actually two separate methods here.  The video method seems to have you locate the point on the curve and adjust them to the correct value directly.  You then adjust the neutral based on the as adjusted numbers, not the original numbers.  The pdf method seems to have you adjust the colors by moving the ends of the curves inward, and then adjust the neutral with the original numbers, not the as adjusted numbers.  Do I have that right?  If so is this a distinction without a difference or do these two methods have different preferable applications (or is it just personal preference)?

Brian

Postby -default » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:41 am

"color by the numbers" refers to Dan Margulis's technique of basing the adjustment on the final numeric values, as opposed to the appearance of the colors on the screen.  Whether you base adjust the values directly or using the ends of the curves is up to you, and depends on what else is going on in the image.  It is "by the numbers" either way.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:00 am

Hi Mike:

How about the neutral?  Use average of preadjustment numbers, or average of numbers that result after setting the highlight and shadow?  Or . . . it doesn't matter?

Brian

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:04 pm

I found that if I used the "Pre-adjustment" numbers I got better results overall...It should not matter if you have a good middle point chosen but....
For me it is a very visual thing even if you are going by the numbers.  When I was done with the initial correction I was not satisfied so I modified.  My playing around with BTN has confirmed the choice for me.

Some BTN Thoughts for you to digest.....

Both methods for correction, using the end points and using a 1/4 tone are valid.  It depends on the image and the goals.  For the portrait there are few bright highlights that you want to protect and the details in the tee shirt are important to me. The Quarter tones are more in line with the goals of the image. The squirrel image has more high key elements and the shadows are important, so the end points of the curve are in play.  

I have my Target settings such that I do not really output the full range of RGB values...See Shot1.

BTN is a "technical" correction.  Sometimes, it can kill the mood of the image..Some people will argue that it is the "real" goal of color correction. I feel that if that were the case then the Yahoo Color Theory Group would not keep looking for better ways to correct images and process work flow changes, they would have it settled.  I find color correction to be highly subjective and personal. Are there known values that somethings "should be"? Absolutely...but are they set in stone??  Unfortunately not.

BTN is most easily done in RGB because it counts on the multiple neutrals that RGB allows.  

I will try BTN on any image that I am having trouble correcting using the usual methods.  The Kite flyers for instance are a good candidate for BTN.  Realistically it is a combination of BTN and Masking that can really pull that image out.

BTN is another tool in the tool box.  I keep it along with lizard tails, Dog legs, and Man From Mars with a K channel mask, close to the front of the line because they solve the majority of my problems with the most ease.  

Hope this helps...Please continue to dialog on this...It's a great topic..

Greg

Attachments
shot1-jpg-118
shot1-jpg-118 (70.44 KiB) Viewed 9714 times

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:51 am

Thanks Greg.  This procedure is deceptively simple and I have had decidedly mixed results.  I thought maybe because I was adjusting the midtone incorrectly after reading the pdf and watching the video, but not so apparently.  I think when I have tried it lately it has also been on images that have proved troublesome using other methods.

BTW made the changes you suggested in your screen shot.  Thanks!

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:52 am

The changes really help out on the output side.  It keeps you from blowing out the highlights and completely blocking the shadows.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 June 2009”