Grandson before & after

This is the Class board for the Curvemeister 101 class.
joann

Postby joann » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:14 pm

This is my grandson Evan. My goal was to bring more color into his face. After I added the skin pin and was satisfied with the color I took the photo back into photoshop and whitened his teeth because they took on a yellow cast. Now I wondering if I put too much yellow in his face.
JoAnn H
Attachments
evan-before-web-jpg
evan-before-web-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 9255 times
evan-afterweb-jpg
evan-afterweb-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 9255 times

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:28 pm

Short answer,yes.GregM
My stand alone hue clock has the hand just touching between e and i of meister,this setting might work for a face in the middle distance

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:00 am

Joann,
I want to show you this so you know where you can take your images...

Here is how I would tackle this image...

First I opened in CM using LAB and lowered the highlight value by dragging the highlight end of the curve into the image until there was tonality in the brightest highlights.  

The I opened in CM again in RGB mode.  I did a slight variation on the BTN correction for this image using the white and black on his shirt for the shadow and highlight values.  I then Pinned the skin using the Skin 1 Pin from CM.  Shot1.  Apply and Close CM.  

Then I opened in CM using LAB again since the mid tones looked flat I added some mid-tone contrast using L from LAB  This allows me to adjust the lighting without changing the color.  Shot 2.  Apply and close.

Now for the non-CM moves...You can do what you like but here is my PS adjustments...

Create a layer copy in normal mode and use Unsharp mask.  Shot3.  
Reduce the opacity of the layer to 70ish percent .  Shot 4
Flatten the layer and save...

BTW if you want to adjust his teeth use the selection tool like you did for the multi face problem and select his teeth.  Go into CM in HSB mode and slightly desaturate the teeth...

Greg
Attachments
screenshot001-jpg-114
screenshot001-jpg-114 (85.04 KiB) Viewed 9255 times
screenshot002-jpg-85
screenshot002-jpg-85 (87.63 KiB) Viewed 9255 times
screenshot003-jpg-53
screenshot003-jpg-53 (104.79 KiB) Viewed 9255 times
screenshot004-jpg-33
screenshot004-jpg-33 (55.81 KiB) Viewed 9255 times
evan-before-web_gg-jpg
evan-before-web_gg-jpg (292.21 KiB) Viewed 9255 times

joann

Postby joann » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:42 am

Thanks for all the instructions and screen shots. I'll work on this.
JoAnn H

Joann,
I want to show you this so you know where you can take your images...

Here is how I would tackle this image...

First I opened in CM using LAB and lowered the highlight value by dragging the highlight end of the curve into the image until there was tonality in the brightest highlights.  

The I opened in CM again in RGB mode.  I did a slight variation on the BTN correction for this image using the white and black on his shirt for the shadow and highlight values.  I then Pinned the skin using the Skin 1 Pin from CM.  Shot1.  Apply and Close CM.  

Then I opened in CM using LAB again since the mid tones looked flat I added some mid-tone contrast using L from LAB  This allows me to adjust the lighting without changing the color.  Shot 2.  Apply and close.

Now for the non-CM moves...You can do what you like but here is my PS adjustments...

Create a layer copy in normal mode and use Unsharp mask.  Shot3.  
Reduce the opacity of the layer to 70ish percent .  Shot 4
Flatten the layer and save...

BTW if you want to adjust his teeth use the selection tool like you did for the multi face problem and select his teeth.  Go into CM in HSB mode and slightly desaturate the teeth...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:51 am

Started with my new toy,Neat Image,but there wasn't that much noise in the shirt,kept sharpening.In PSE  I lightened the shadows and pulled back the highlight till I got a balance I liked.The resulting skin tone required just a touch up in wgCYMk CM.GregM
Attachments
evan-before-web-copy2-jpg
evan-before-web-copy2-jpg (269.76 KiB) Viewed 9255 times

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:10 am

Greg,
I'm interested in why you chose to make those adjustments in PSE rather than in curvemeister. Trying to understand when to use what tool.

Julie

Started with my new toy,Neat Image,but there wasn't that much noise in the shirt,kept sharpening.In PSE  I lightened the shadows and pulled back the highlight till I got a balance I liked.The resulting skin tone required just a touch up in wgCYMk CM.GregM

joann

Postby joann » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:59 pm

The photo looks great with your corrections. I have the Neat Image demo. It works pretty well with really noisy photos. I'm curious along with Julie. Why did you do your corrections in PSE rather than Curvemeister.
JoAnn H

quote author=gremurphoto link=topic=2783.msg12218#msg12218 date=1256352678]

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:54 am

After I had done the neat image work I did several tries in CM,By The  Numbers,Lab,skin pins,but wasn't pleased with any.What I was trying to do was bring back detail to the (my)left side of the face the fill flash had obscured.The shad/highlight in PSE did that and also lightened the background which changed the nature of the image.I just wanted to see what would happen.GregM

joann

Postby joann » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:10 pm

Very nicely done. Thanks,
JoAnn H

After I had done the neat image work I did several tries in CM,By The  Numbers,Lab,skin pins,but wasn't pleased with any.What I was trying to do was bring back detail to the (my)left side of the face the fill flash had obscured.The shad/highlight in PSE did that and also lightened the background which changed the nature of the image.I just wanted to see what would happen.GregM

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2009”