julie fruit

This is the Class board for the Curvemeister 101 class.
imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:14 pm

Greg
I thought about this for a while because the neutral was hard to find. The sides of the frame seem to be green and magenta and I couldn't fix one without affecting the other. So what I did was check the man's skin and adjust the neutral to keep that in the correct range. I don't know if it was the right thing to do but I think its kept the fruit real. I decided that I could live with the colours in the frame. I tried to increase the contrast a little using curves but I'm not confident here. The temptation is to go back to elements but I am resisting. Anyway looking for ward to your comments.

Some questions. I have a birthday coming up and it is an opportunity to improve my photographic or editing tools. I am using elements 4 at the moment. Do you have any thoughts about upgrading to a newer model? Or is there anything else that you think is really useful or just fun to have. Secondly, the skype session. I may be at my daughters place that weekend ( I do not have to be there) will I need access to elements and curvemeister during the session or just skype

Julie 
Attachments
fruit-screen-jpg
fruit-screen-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 8897 times
fruitwindowweek2-jpg
fruitwindowweek2-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 8897 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:44 pm

Julie,
Every once in awhile I get a surprise.  Your solution to this image was today's. I think your solution was wonderful.  I like that you went for something you knew had to be correct, that you used the tools to keep it correct and that you knew you were on the right course.    BTW if you want to try something interesting try the SKIN5 color pin from the pins gallery...

The contrast you are looking for is in the highlight area of the curve.  I have attached an ACV but the two things you should look at are the extreme highlights and the saturation slider....Great Job!

As for upgrades....

I would strongly recommend that you get to at least PSE7.  The DB improvements and new tools will help you work more efficiently.  That being said...the really effective choice would be a version of PS if you can get your hands on PSCS3 you would really like the layers differences..Later in the course we cover using CM for mask creation.  For PSE we have to use a slight work around, it works but it is clunky.  PSE does support masks but only halfway.

Happy Birthday....
Greg
Attachments
fruitwindowweek2-jpg-labgg-acv
(58 Bytes) Downloaded 339 times

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:36 pm

Greg
I cant open the acv file. This happened before with one you sent to Joann. Photoshop elements opens up and then says it is the wrong type of file. Any suggestions.

My husband has just purchased Photoshop cs3 from ebay for my birthday. Thanks for the tip.  Do you know if when I install it will it keep all my tags and collections together.

Also just want to say I'm having a great time doing this. I cant believe what I can do in just 2 weeks. You and greg m. are both very good teachers, very encouraging and gently leading us where we need to go. I  like the way I have to struggle to get it and then the solutions arrive at the end of the week. By then I can understand the solution, I think this is a good technique. The hints are also very good.

julie

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:06 pm

You have to go to the image and then open CM then click load and find the file....
The ACV is a curves file and PSE does not know what that is...

Greg

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:32 pm

thanks

julie

i tried but I dont understand. I do not have an image. In the class page in curvemeister community all I can see  is an attatchment symbol. I can save this to a file but if you mean open it when you say 'go to' I cant do that. I am also having trouble with the pins. Curvemeister says error reading pin file and will not import them when I go to manage pins. I will try restart as that seems to solve problems but... I'll let you know.

Julie

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:58 am

CS3 uses Bridge... you do not have to..you can still use organizer and tell it to open images in CS3.  All your tags and collections are in PSE.  You can have both and in fact CM should install in CS3 for you...re-run the installer after the CS3 install is complete... if It does not... let me know and we'll see what we can do to get that solved.

The ACV file is just for CM.  You have to go back to the image. Open the image in PSE and then open CM.  From CM you have to use the "load" button.  You have to go in just like you were going to adjust the image in CM...

If the Pins file is in the right directory you might have to set the access rights to it.  Do you have Vista or Win XP??
If Vista you have to take ownership of the file and then set the rights to full access...Sorry but this is a windows issue...I'll sure do what I can to help...keep the questions coming...

Greg

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:11 am

Greg

I just do not have an image - just an icon. if I try to open the icon PSE just shows me a grey screen with a message not a supported fiile type. If I then try to use any of the menus they are grey not black. Most of the time the ACV shows up in the class discussion pages as an image and if I click on to the attatchment symbol I can save it and everything is ok. Its just the odd one that does this.  I am worrying I may be doing something very stupid!!

For the pins - I have XP. Never went to vista. Message at opening of curvemeister 'error reading pin file'. Just realised I will have to upgrade to photoshop curvemeister. Can I do that soon or do I need to wait for photoshop to be installed.

sorry so many problems
Julie

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:52 pm

Julie,
Sometimes the printed words are not enough...I'm sorry for that....

Steps:
1) download the ACV file and save it to your desktop.  The ACV file matches the image.  So fo instance, If I posted an ACV for the fruit window, you need to open the fruit window image in PSE first.  If you do not have the image...re-download it from the class page.

2) Open the image file that the ACV file is going to be applied to in PSE.  Open Curvemeister as if you were going to adjust the curves.  In the Curvemeister interface there is a "load" button.  When you click the load button it opens the file open dialog box and you need to find the ACV file you have downloaded.  I always download to the desktop so I can find the ACV file fast.

3) When you click on the ACV file it will be applied to the image and you need to click "open" in the dialog box.  The Curves from the ACV file are applied as soon as you click "open". 

4) If you have any adjustments in the Curvemeister window they will be replaced by the curves in the ACV file, this is not an additive process.

As for the Pins Files.  Check to see if you have them saved as "read only".  Click on the file name and then "right click" choose properties from the menu and look for a check box labeled "read only" If it is checked you need to set it to unchecked....if it is unchecked you need to take ownership of the file and grant full access rights to it.  If that is the case I'll try to have more information for you regarding that process.

Greg

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:27 am

Greg
I did it, the acv file worked! I really needed the acv files for dummies approach. Thanks for your patience.

Now the pins files. The boxes are unchecked. I think something weird might be happening cause I cannot even see goodies or swatches in my directory. The only way I can get to them is to do a search.

what I can see which may help is curvemeister.com is read only, curvemeister_3_elements is read only, swatches is read only, goodies is read only, stuff in goodies is not read only. The pins I have installed I have moved out of goodies in the past but this does not seem to have worked with the new skin pins.

Julie

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:25 am

ok...Work Around....

Create a new Pins File and Call it anything you want...Shot1 and Shot2.

Copy the text from the Pins file you have and paste it to the new file you are creating.

Save and exit.  Should work...

Greg

Attachments
screenshot001-jpg-119
screenshot001-jpg-119 (58.09 KiB) Viewed 8897 times
screenshot002-jpg-90
screenshot002-jpg-90 (53.65 KiB) Viewed 8897 times

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2009”