Let's Get Started

This is the Class board for the Curvemeister 101 class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:27 pm

My version is attached.   Would someone please explain how to get it to appear also in line (as in other posts)? 

js

Ah, sorry - I see that an uploaded image automatically appears.

js

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:07 pm

Greg,do these images appear with a magenta cast? If so I have a problem with my computer.I had trouble last class with"Irish Lad" and "London Vendor" not transmitting as I had corrected them.GregM
Welcome Zog,Hope you've been visiting cathedrals.
Attachments
boid-color-test-jpg
boid-color-test-jpg (192.18 KiB) Viewed 6903 times
gjg_0073-2-copycolortest-jpg
gjg_0073-2-copycolortest-jpg (249.38 KiB) Viewed 6903 times

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:23 pm

Hi Greg,

I've just had a look at your image on my PC and my CM readouts agree with yours and the colours look fine to me - but I did spot a bug!
I've I put up the hue clocks while curving in LAB, then RGB values are very wrong - so your 211,211,212 is given as 83,83,84 !! (but 'tis okay if curving in rgb).

Yes to Cathedrals and Churches - I've been having great fun taking 3 exposures (+/-2ev) and then hand paints (via masks) to put the details back into the shadows and highlights - especially stained glass windows.

I've also found 2 greats bits of free software for showing images in different ways - have a look at
http://www.broadhurst-family.co.uk/St%20Nicolas%20Newbury/index.html

Chris

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:46 pm

Thanks and thanks,Zog,. The windows are impressive.For the CM class,I like the images that kept the  leathery,pebbley look to the bird's jaw and neck.I went for detail and a straw color to quills.GregM

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:48 pm

GregM,
Your recent post looks much better...good colors, no strong cast.

You are right on track for the goals with this image...
You can try to get more detail in the straw feathers using the "highlight curve" feature. 
I'll start with that hint and see if you can devise a way to sharpen just the straw colored feathers and not the rest of the image.

For the rest of the class... the approach Greg described is a good starting point to begin the discussion of work flow. 

Many people come into the class and have little idea as to where to "start". Greg started by listing his goals for the image.  He met almost all of them.  That is why he knows to stop.  Most people just know that something is wrong with the image and they want to "fix" it.  Greg was specific about his goals and worked to get the results he wanted.  I strongly advise you to begin thinking this way.  It is not required, but it usually points you in the right direction for starting your corrections.

I have pushed gently back to him and the others to see if there is more detail in the straw colored feathers...There is BTW, as shown by  pkelly2's version.  The trick will be for Greg and others to get the feather details without losing the color or effecting the rest of the image.

Many tools will probably be applied but don't despair these guys have been around a bit and have really pushed themselves to get much better than when they started. 

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:18 am

Greg,do these images appear with a magenta cast? If so I have a problem with my computer.I had trouble last class with"Irish Lad" and "London Vendor" not transmitting as I had corrected them.GregM

GregM, did you see the posting on the Color Theory forum
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/colortheory/post?act=reply&messageNum=21769
- could be the different versions of PS that are upsetting things
Chris

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:45 pm

how interesting.....

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2009”