Berkeley Voice

This board is for the December 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:14 am

Kind of took the directions literally and tried to make the text black and paper white while somewhat disregarding the image.  Used two curves in the "L" channel after setting the endpoints with the Histogram.
Attachments
berkeley_voicefix-jpg
berkeley_voicefix-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 8209 times
berkeley_voice-jpg-lab-acv
(999 Bytes) Not downloaded yet
berkeley_voice-psd-lab2-acv
(999 Bytes) Not downloaded yet

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:39 pm

I'm going to have to look at these later today...my current system is crashing with the ACV file load.  Hang in there

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:22 pm

No worries Greg - thanks...

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:42 pm

Thanks for your patience...

The text does look pretty good...the color is a bit weak you might try bumping the saturation slider just a bit to bring back some of the color..the skin tone looks good so you might just bump the saturation a bit and be done with it...

Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Okay...after the new build was posted and I was able to load your curves files....

Well I'm going to look at this some more and have a better response...

Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:27 pm

Ahhh..good to have the tools working again...

OK Here we go...
Instead of two curves that at times appear to be competing how about this....See attached shot.

This is one image where the histogram can help you a bit but not as much as the threshold adjustments.  If you look at the image I have 3 areas I am most concerned about..the highlight details, the shadow details, and the dots in the picture.  

The highlights I want to keep as much information in the image as I possibly can.  Remember the prints you might have created will need as much highlight and shadow details as possible.  I use the threshold to help me not clip the highlights.

Shadows I wanted them to be dark and saturated but not at the cost of the dots in the shadows of the image.  making the s curve helps the shadows without hurting the image shadows too much...You certainly can argue that I did some damage there but I think the scaled down image does it more harm than I did.

The dots....I know I have to tkkep as many as possible in this image.  Usually you want to be rid of them and I don't mind losing some here but when the dot loss = details in the image It means I want to keep them...I placed the hue clocks to check the skin tones and see if I needed an adjustment there but they look acceptable for this type of image.  

I went on to saturate it a bit more by sliding the saturation slider up to 1.25  It helps the overall image....mine shows 1.00 because after the screen shot I changed my mind...

Greg

Attachments
screenshot001-jpg-96
screenshot001-jpg-96 (284.78 KiB) Viewed 8209 times

Return to “Curvemeister 101 December 2009”