Week 5: Example 6 - Taipei Toy Store

This is the forum for posting to the June 2010 CM 101 Class
leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:35 pm

This correction is pretty much in accordance with the instructions - though I set shadow, highlight and neutral first (and checked the skin tone).

In my second pass, I used the L channel (inverted, and curved) to mask my saturation boost. I took the slider to 3.30 - probably the furthest I've ever pushed it! Having applied the saturation boost, I decided that switching that layer's blending mode to 'Saturation' pulled back some detail in the blue ball (by the tinsel).

Rather than try to work on the luminosity of the image with a curve, I used the Shadow/Highlight command - I didn't think that I would have had enough rope to work with a curve.

I can't believe that we're nearly at week 6! :-
Lee.
Attachments
wk5_ex6_lh-jpg
wk5_ex6_lh-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 9282 times
wk5_ex6_btn_lab-acv
(999 Bytes) Not downloaded yet
wk5_ex6_labshadows-acv
(999 Bytes) Not downloaded yet

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:47 pm

This is one image that really can get you confused about what you are trying to do...

Remember that when you inject color into the shadows you also can introduce a Cast...in your case a blue one...Since RGB is awesome at color cast related to brightness...I made a slight correction to the Blue Channel.

I hate the last week o f lessons...It seems like there are always too many questions to ask...or answer..Just remember that you will have access to your class materials for at least the next 18-24 months...

The links to the course work will work..just remember that if there is currently a class in session you may not have access to all of the weeks...just shoot me an e-mail and I'll get you hooked up...

Greg
Attachments
shot1-jpg-69
shot1-jpg-69 (297.62 KiB) Viewed 9282 times

leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:39 am

Thanks for the tip-off - I hadn't noticed the blue cast until you pointed it out, but it's quite severe - I've taken it out now (thanks for the screenshot), and the image looks much better.

I think that I'm reaching a stage where I can visually identify uniform casts, but casts that are specific to a particular tonal range are still not really on my radar. I think that some exercises related to nonuniform casts would be great in the CM201 course. Of course, nonuniform casts have been mentioned during this 101 course, but I've not been sufficiently beaten over the head with them to make me routinely check for them ;).

It's strange, because I do check that lighter neutrals are actually neutral - I must have a mental block with shadows...

Cheers,
Lee.
Attachments
wk5_ex6_lh_v2-jpg
wk5_ex6_lh_v2-jpg (236.28 KiB) Viewed 9282 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:44 pm

We all tend to accept colors in the shadows that we can justify as being there.  Reflections are a good example...we all accept that the color is there because it is reflected in the scene.  Recognizing  that they do not belong is a learned habit...

One of the exercises I have planned for the 201 class is a "seeing" exercise.  It really is pretty simple but it brings to light some areas of image correction that every one needs to be aware of.

Wanna try it out??
Greg

leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:51 pm

One of the exercises I have planned for the 201 class is a "seeing" exercise.  It really is pretty simple but it brings to light some areas of image correction that every one needs to be aware of.

Wanna try it out??

I'd absolutely love to ;D

I think an exercise that deals with these issues would be fantastically helpful to everyone - it definitely deserves its place in the new course!

Lee.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:15 pm

I sent it to the e-mail you have listed for the forum...

Your thoughts as always are welcome...
Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 June 2010”