Comparing Colors and Measuring Statistics

This is the forum for posting to the June 2010 CM 101 Class

Postby -default » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:17 am

Curvemeister currently calculates deltaE only in Photoshop's Lab coordinate space - the formal technical name for the algorithm is deltaE 76.. 

While this is a widely used standard, there are some problems with it, particularly with greens, and new color spaces and deltaE calculations have been created - I believe that deltaE 2000 is the most recent.  If there were demand for it, I would certainly consider supporting other deltaE calculations. 

Keep in mind that, while the new calculations are more accurate approximations, none of them claim to equate to human vision.

The original deltaE calculations were actually paid for by someone who needed to use this capability in a quantitative setting, and I made the feature available to everyone.

More info here:
http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Delta_E:_The_Color_Difference

imported_BoydMac

Postby imported_BoydMac » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:33 am

Thank you Mike.  I'm doing things that I really shouldn't be doing with the function and think I'm better off just using the Hue clocks to give a qualitatiive indication and direct measurements with a colorimeter to develop the quantitative data. 

leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:49 am

You may be intrigued by the profile plotter action...

I certainly am! I read about it whilst trawling through old forum posts, and I think that it looks great. The only problem with using it to discern which media setting to use to create a profile for a third-party paper is that I would have to make all the profiles first. But - if I could narrow down my choices to two or three, then that action would be a great method for picking a winner ;D

I'm very interested in the application that you mention. Is that publicly available?

Thanks for all the useful information,
Lee.

Return to “Curvemeister 101 June 2010”