Week 4: Exercise 3 - Tigers don't like Histograms

This is the forum for posting to the June 2010 CM 101 Class
leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:38 pm

I had to approach this in two passes; I began in Lab according to this week's instructions, and created quite a few hue clocks to help me set a good neutral, but I had to take another hit at it in CMYK.

My initial Lab correction improved the colour quite a lot, but I couldn't get rid of a very small magenta cast in Lab, whilst holding the good aspects of that correction. I chose CMYK because I thought that it would give me more precise control of the colours in the file; and whilst I might not have done the best job with the colour, I can't blame CMYK for that - I had exactly the control that I wanted when I was working in that mode.

Cheers,
Lee.
Attachments
wk4_ex3-jpg
wk4_ex3-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 3693 times
lab_lh-acv-2
(999 Bytes) Not downloaded yet
cmyk_lh-acv
(999 Bytes) Not downloaded yet

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:42 pm

Lee,
Looking at the ACV files it looks like you did not set a neutral on the LAB version.  With a solid neutral you can take this image in an entirely new direction. 

The point of associating this image with the histogram is the deception the histogram can provide as you reach zero....it is very hard to see the histogram once you hit about 2 or 3 on the L value in LAB. Personally I use the histogram as a guide but I always check the shadow and highlight thresholds...I find I have it wrong if I do not.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 June 2010”