Week 4: Exercise 2 - The Berkeley Voice

This is the forum for posting to the June 2010 CM 101 Class
leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:44 am

I cheated with this a little bit  ;) Improving the text was blowing out the protesters hair in the image, so I masked out the image and worked on that separately.

I didn't pull the black endpoint on the L curve so far that the headlines would go solid black, because I could see that the smaller text would begin to break up when I pushed the shadows too hard.

Should I have been more aggressive?

I worked in Lab because I thought the paper was unlikely to be neutral and as I understand things it is better to set endpoints in Lab if the shadows/highlights are not neutral. Is this correct?

Lee.
Attachments
wk4_ex2_lh-jpg
wk4_ex2_lh-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 3610 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:33 pm

Lee,
The smaller text is not breaking down...the text from the page under is beginning to show.  Can you be more aggressive... yes...you can but do you feel you need to?? 

The paper looks white...the text is solid and you even covered the image on the page....

You could try a lizard tail type adjustment to take some of the underlying text  back out of the image...It's up to you...These are great examples of fine details that you need to be looking for when you make the kinds of adjustments possible with CM...

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 June 2010”