Week 3: Exercise 5 - Drummers

This is the forum for posting to the June 2010 CM 101 Class
leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:23 pm

I managed to get the skin into the magic hour on the hue clock, and neutralise the blue cast in the shadows with the same curve. My b curve complained a bit - turning red - when I tried to get rid of the blue shadow cast. The Lab curves leeched too much colour out of the drums, and now being on the lookout for saturation issues, I returned to CM to use the Lab saturation slider.

After the last few images I'm quite pleased to have been able to accomplish everything with one set of curves, but if there is more to be done no problem - just let me know  ;)

Cheers,
Lee.
Attachments
wk3_ex5_lh-jpg
wk3_ex5_lh-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 4143 times
lab_lh-acv-3
(999 Bytes) Not downloaded yet

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:48 pm

Lee,
Saturation is again the issue here...minor...1.20 will get this done. 
Great job on the shadows.  The faces look good and overall tone is good.

You are making wonderful progress.  I know at this stage of the course many feel like they are loosing ground and that many of the things they count on in image correction are becoming almost useless or worse they screw things up.  It gets better...You are learning so many new ways to make corrections that you sometimes forget the basics....this is very normal....as we go on from here Saturation becomes  battle.  It finishes with "Man From Mars"  by the time we get done with that technique you will begin to think we live in a black and white world by comparison...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:20 pm

You're right about that! I remember feeling yesterday morning that I'd hit a brick wall, and that after the initial progress that I felt I had made that it was all tumbling down. When you said in response to the image that I posted for exercise 4 that I hadn't set a shadow or highlight, I couldn't believe that I would have forgotten to do something so obvious! My images may not be very saturated, but I feel like my brain is  ;)

Still, it's all good - and I'm learning so much. It really does feel like a tremendous privilege to be on this course learning all this stuff.

Cheers,
Lee.

Return to “Curvemeister 101 June 2010”