Week 2: Exercise 8 - Temple

This is the forum for posting to the June 2010 CM 101 Class
leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:04 pm

I love floating neutrals! What a fantastic feature  ;D

Again, as suggested I had at this both in RGB and Lab. This time around I really liked the RGB correction. I used plenty of hue clocks to help me pinpoint my two neutral points, and though I couldn't neutralise the stone I did get it neutral in the Lab a channel everywhere I measured, and slightly warm in the b channel - which made sense given the sunlight...

Having used the floating neutrals feature to set more shape into the image, I applied the adjustments, and returned to Photoshop. In Photoshop I took the image into Lab and painted (onto a layer set to color mode) on the blown out pillars in the foreground, and finished with a bit of sharpening.

Again, I'm off to check the solutions now  ;)

Apologies for posting these two images late, but as I said, I didn't want to let them slide. And I'm glad I didn't - I wouldn't have learnt about floating neutrals otherwise  :)

Cheers,
Lee.
Attachments
wk2_ex8_lh-jpg
wk2_ex8_lh-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 4972 times
rgb_lh-acv-4
(999 Bytes) Not downloaded yet
lab_lh-acv-5
(999 Bytes) Not downloaded yet

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Nice...
Really ....

Only thing I can see I would change is going after the staircase in the dark shadow on the left..otherwise really well done....
Greg

leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:35 pm

Only thing I can see I would change is going after the staircase in the dark shadow

Do you mean that the stairwell is too dark, or that you would have clipped the shadows more aggressively?

One thing that I picked up from the solution video was that - because I was working in RGB - I should have pinned the shadow rather than simply pull in the shadow threshold. I will go back and do that, and can attend to the stairwell when I do.

Thanks for the advice  :)
Lee.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:35 pm

My problem with the stairwell is I know it's in there; and I know it can add to the image in a subtle way...

It is also a good idea to try these things as you have been so that you can file the technique away and use it some other time...

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 June 2010”