Week 2: Exercise 3 - Pumpkins

This is the forum for posting to the June 2010 CM 101 Class
leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:46 pm

I've tried HSB on quite a few of the images we have worked with so far, and this image has responded better in HSB than any of the others I've attempted.

I was pleased with my HSB version, and thought that I had brought the colour out without making the image look unnatural - the curves are attached; I finished up my adding a touch of Hiraloam sharpening.

But, as I went to Save for Web I was suddenly struck by the thought that maybe I could have pushed the saturation a little harder, so I'm attaching another version which is the same as the first, but with an additional push on the Lab saturation slider in CM.

In Photoshop the second version looks better to me, but in the Save for Web dialog box the second version looked a little radioactive. I'd be interested to know which version other people prefer.

All the best,
Lee.
Attachments
pumpkins_hsb_lh-jpg
pumpkins_hsb_lh-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5496 times
hsb_lh-acv-2
(999 Bytes) Not downloaded yet
pumpkins_hsblab_lh-jpg
pumpkins_hsblab_lh-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5496 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:07 pm

Lee I think the contrast in the LAB save for web is hurting you more than the color.  BTW the HSB looks very nice...Great shape...

Greg

leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:29 pm

Yes, the two brightest pumpkins are too hot, and therefore are distracting to the point where you can't really take in the whole image. At the time I posted this, I was only concerned with the extra saturation, but looking at the two images now it's that extra brightness that strikes me.

It's funny, it's something that I would have picked up upon if it had been one of my students. Why don't I see these things in my own corrections?  ???

Lee.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:22 pm

For the same reasons that I don't see mine either...

On really important stuff I apply the "24 hour rule"....

Edit and save as a new image...If after 24 hours you go back and still like the results you have it done...If 24 hours later your new version can't stand the light of day...you have a problem to fix...I have had to shorten the day on a deadline but even an hour will show you somethings you forgot or overdid...

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 June 2010”