Rhonda River Scene

This is the discussion thread for the September 2010 Class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:23 am

My end result doesn't look as good as yours.  Your sky is less cyan than mine. 

When I made the mask and "gave up" a little one of the grayer clouds wasn't included in the mask, so when I manipulated the saturation and the lightness curve, it kept me from moving more (made it look fake if I did.).  I'll try again tomorrow (hopefully) and play some more. 

Questions:  What did you mean by "GCR"? 
I didn't find that I needed to invert the mask--the sky was white when I first created the mask.
"Can you think of a way from the last session to clean up this mask, and avoid changing the boat?"--No.  Are you talking about the Tassel session?  Could probably put the mask into Photoshop and paint out the part your didn't like.  Can't quite remember how do do that, but will review.

I've quickly posted a second take, this time with the sky entirely white.  Better?

Thanks. 

Rhonda
Attachments
river-scene-mask-screenshot-jpg
river-scene-mask-screenshot-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 6482 times
river-scene-curved-and-saturated-screenshot-jpg
river-scene-curved-and-saturated-screenshot-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 6482 times
river-scene-in-photoshop-jpg
river-scene-in-photoshop-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 6482 times
river-scene-photoshop-take-2-jpg
river-scene-photoshop-take-2-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 6482 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:36 pm

Take 2 is much better.

The GCR value is a setting in CMYK.  It stands for the Gray Component Replacement.  It is a calculation method for determining how much Black Ink is used to print.  The GCR setting makes the mask darker or lighter depending on the settings. 

Since I like nice dark masks; my GCR rarely leaves the Max setting.  For you; for now...it really only effects the K mask in CM and currently there is a bug in the K mask process. The K mask is not getting copied to the clipboard correctly for pasting to PS layer masks so be aware of that...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:57 pm

Thanks, Greg.

I'll download the later version of CM.

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2010”