Week 5! Trouble with mask settings

This is the discussion thread for the September 2010 Class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:26 am

Hi Greg,

I'm finally back.  I need a block of time when I work on CM and I just have not had it lately.

What version of CM are you currently using?  I'm still using Version 3.0.19 because of the issue we had with the pins not showing.  In this version, the steps you show in the video are not the same as options on my screen.  I don't have the left-right arrow buttons to the right of the Mask tab on the channels bar that allows me to scroll through the various mask options.  I played around and finally found that I could pick which mask to show from a drop-down list in the "Set Mask" tab.  Also had an issue in that the mask continued to show.  Again, finally got it off by toggling the "show mask" command.  I had a small red halo around some of the tassels, but messed around with the bottom point on the mask channel until I got most of them out.  After I thought I was finished, I notice that my final version still shows some reddish reflections of the tassels on the marble below.  Could I have figured out a way to include these in the mask when they aren't bright red, or would it have messed up the rest of the image?

What a cool tool!  I can't wait to learn to use it in the bigger Photoshop context!

Thanks!

Rhonda
Attachments
tassels-mask-issue-jpg
tassels-mask-issue-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5781 times
tassels-mask-result-jpg
tassels-mask-result-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5781 times
tassels-with-mask-applied-jpg
tassels-with-mask-applied-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5781 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:38 pm

If you soften the mask a bit so that you can see some of the shadows you will get rid of the red haze....It makes for a grey scale mask but that is ok...There is so much you can do with masking in PSand PSE it can be addictive...but it really is just another tool in the toolbox...

I am using 3.0.25 with PS and PSE 32 bits and all seems to be stable...I have pins...

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2010”