Rhonda Green Firetruck

This is the discussion thread for the September 2010 Class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:36 am

Interesting observations:  I tried to turn it blue as well, but the colors weren't as true as the green--some parts of the truck were purple.  Also, tried to pin a skin tone to the man's face.  Not.
Attachments
green-firetruck-jpg
green-firetruck-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 7456 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:26 pm

A skin pin with this adjustment would be a disaster...but I guess you knew that...try pinning the Green side of the channel with 4 points from the center to the outside edge on the green side then adjusting the red side until the skin tones look better...

Attachments
screenshot001-jpg-36
screenshot001-jpg-36 (224.68 KiB) Viewed 7456 times

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:44 pm

Thanks, I'll check that out (after I make myself go out and work the yard...)  Obviously, green was a good choice for changing the color, rather than trying for blue.  As I get into masks, would that be the best choice for changing the color of an object--like Art did in the blue car?  I'm thinking "Yes!" is your answer, and if so, no need to reply!

Thanks so much.
Rhonda

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:37 am

Well the blue car can be done without a mask...
The best mask is usually the one where the color you want or its color complement is the strongest. 

If you want to work on the sky; the Red channel will have the best information for you..Or the K channel or the L channel of LAB. 

Blue is usually a poor choice for the sky mask since the sky noise is found in the blue channel far more often than anywhere else. Also the sky will be light to mid toned...you want color contrast as you make masks.

If you want to work on skin tones...the Skin Tone channel that mike has created cannot be beat.  Yellow balloons, Blue channel mask....It goes on forever...

One of the best parts about how we mask in CM is the channel cart.  You can see the masks before they are placed and you can adjust then before they are copied.  It is a huge help...You have to learn to think in color opposites to have a faster time selecting the mask you want.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2010”