Rhonda Dog wearing Purple Coat

This is the discussion thread for the September 2010 Class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:52 am

This was a great exercise, Greg!  The video hint was MOST helpful.  I didn't know whether I should post the image, because if it worked, it worked, but I am.  Didn't paint out the purple dots in the grass, but tried it and it is fine.

Have been working on a large landscaping project against a deadline of weather getting cold.  I'm still here if you are!

Rhonda
Attachments
dog-wearing-purple-coat-jpg
dog-wearing-purple-coat-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 7090 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:16 pm

I'm very glad you are finishing this up...you will find that more of the class makes sense when you finish it...
The dog looks fine...purple is his color...Glad you told me about the grass..otherwise I would have sent you back to fix that...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:47 pm

I'm assuming that the masks idea will help me realize when to copy a channel back to PS and when to make it a mask--or are they the same thing?  Probably are, but probably just skinning the cat with a different tool.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:30 am

Photoshop has in some ways caught up to CM in that you can now; as of CS4 make selections as a mask from the image.  When CM Version 3 was first released PSCS3 Masking was a tough nut to crack and few people could make effective masks.  CM was a real life saver; today the tools are a bit better...still confusing but better..

When you copy the channel in CM you are making a copy of the channel on the clipboard of windows.  You can paste the channel back as an alpha channel if you want or you can make the image a mask on a layer.  As for when to copy a channel or when to create a mask I think time and experience as well as what workflow makes the most sense will be some of the stronger factors for you.  One simple way to start looking at channels is to make a background copy, adjust the channels in PS or using CM and apply them as a Luminosity layer. 

This is such a deep end of the pool...

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2010”