Rhonda Tiger

This is the discussion thread for the September 2010 Class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:16 am

Interesting image to work with.  I took it to heart about setting black point to enhance the image rather than just by the numbers.  I set it so that the background was quite subdued in the shadows in order to bring out the tiger.  When I finished the LAB version--I thought it would be hard to beat in RGB, but then I liked the RGB better in the end.  Perhaps his fur is too orange?  Still confused in both RGB and LAB about casts vs. the desired color.  If grass is somewhere between yellow and green, and the hue clock indicates that, even if the numbers are off, do you have a cast?  I got the fur to nearly neutral in LAB, but not in RGB.  Also the grass was off in both shots.  Suggestions?  Which do you like better and why?  I ended up burning down the blown-out rock in front of the tiger.  (BTW, I tried a second bout in LAB, and thought I was following my workflow as in the first attempt, but got the tiger much more yellow and didn't know how to duplicate my first attempt.  Bummer.)
Attachments
rhonda-tiger-lab-screenshot-jpg
rhonda-tiger-lab-screenshot-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5584 times
tiger-lab-in-photoshop-jpg
tiger-lab-in-photoshop-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5584 times
rhonda-tiger-rgb-screenshot-jpg
rhonda-tiger-rgb-screenshot-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5584 times
tiger-rgb-in-photoshop-jpg
tiger-rgb-in-photoshop-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5584 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:52 pm

RGB tiger looks nice....

LAB tiger needs some saturation...about 1.50 on the slider...

BUT...He is too red at that point so a shortcut would be to add a bit more saturation to the B curve by using the edge of the frame to move the B curve more.  Place your mouse on the curve frame in the B channel and when the mouse turns into the curves arrows add a bit more slant to the curve to make it more vertical than the A channel and the tiger should be nice and orange.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2010”