Steve Dragon (61)

This is the discussion thread for the September 2010 Class.
sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:05 pm

I will break the ice.

Unfortunately, I will be traveling again this weekend.  I should have internet, but only notebook.

As a novice follower of Dan Margulis work, an observation.  In his Man from Mars, he pins a neutral.  then he moves the end point of a until it "hugs the top".  He does the same for the b curve.  (you know all that).

Comparing the two methods:    Without CM, it is difficult to move both end points.  Effects seem to be very similar, but the curves look different.  CM is easier.  DM's MFM is designed to be as easy as possible with a Mac.  All the "action" is near the intersection not the end points.

His recent work suggests moving the neutral on one of the curves a little left.  And making one curve steeper.  He says that warmer is better. 

He says that the MFM works best with a less colors to worry about.

Could it  be??  CM is better than  ....
Attachments
61-dragon-ss-jpg
61-dragon-ss-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 4163 times
61-dragon-jpg
61-dragon-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 4163 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:59 pm

Well let's just say that Dan has to work his method because he refuses to look past the Mac...
Don't even get me going on the whole Picture Postcard work flow...I can chop out about half of the steps and still get results...see attached

Greg

Attachments
gjg_0050-jpg-2
gjg_0050-jpg-2 (299.67 KiB) Viewed 4163 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:05 am

I will break the ice.

Unfortunately, I will be traveling again this weekend.  I should have internet, but only notebook.

Not a problem keep up as needed...

As a novice follower of Dan Margulis work, an observation.  In his Man from Mars, he pins a neutral.  then he moves the end point of a until it "hugs the top".  He does the same for the b curve.  (you know all that).

He does this because the slope of the curve is basically the same and then he only has to move 1 end point and it stays simple.

Comparing the two methods:    Without CM, it is difficult to move both end points.  Effects seem to be very similar, but the curves look different.  CM is easier.  DM's MFM is designed to be as easy as possible with a Mac.  All the "action" is near the intersection not the end points.

His recent work suggests moving the neutral on one of the curves a little left.  And making one curve steeper.  He says that warmer is better. 

We can do that by moving the B curve more or less than the A curve after the saturation move, the curves are not linked...you can bump the B channel a bit more if you like...

He says that the MFM works best with a less colors to worry about.

Again, I think he has hamstrung himself a bit in the color boost moves...He is going for fast and simple..We can do that as well as more...

Could it  be??  CM is better than  ....

Some would say...that CM is better I would say it is more efficient.  I find myself doing things faster and simpler..DM has great ideas but they can be taken further with tools like CM.  If you want to get into channel moves and other advanced issues CM is far simpler than the Photoshop interface.

Good Stuff...

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2010”