Steve example 3 view from temple

This is the discussion thread for the September 2010 Class.
sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:36 am

I have tried this several times.  Not doing great.

I ran CM used mask- first screenshot.  Sorry, I did not capture the mask.

Then I saved the mask and inverted it on the mask of a different layer.  I lighten up the foreground  (screen shot 2).  Then I did a little channel mixer to lighten the greens.

(by the way I am traveling this week, so I may not fix the other images because I do not have the original corrections.  I would have to correct from scratch, which is doable and might be preferable.  But I am short on time).
Attachments
53-lake-ss-jpg
53-lake-ss-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5995 times
53-lake-ss2-jpg
53-lake-ss2-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5995 times
53-lake-jpg
53-lake-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5995 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:07 pm

Steve,
This one took me a while...

OK the explanation is pretty simple but; I was having trouble with the sky color overall. 
It is too cyan and that cast runs all over the entire image.  Since you were working LAB I tried to make my corrections in LAB as well.  Since there is no neutral I used a Pin from the pins folder called Glencoe Sky.  Since the Greens are also in trouble I adjusted the A curve to help them out...

In fact from where the image is right now a RGB correction is pretty tough...

I have attached the acv file.
Greg
Attachments
screenshot002-jpg-31
screenshot002-jpg-31 (103.17 KiB) Viewed 5995 times
53-lake-lab_gg-acv
(86 Bytes) Downloaded 334 times
screenshot003-jpg-16
screenshot003-jpg-16 (180.74 KiB) Viewed 5995 times

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:32 pm

Yep, too cyan.  The real answer was to fix the b curve after trying to colorize it.  Colorizing (with LAB) seems to push skies into cyan.  I think that is easier to fix after lab curves than trying to fix a better sky value.

Pins:  When I pin, it pushes the curves in the "right" direction.  Sometimes (?) the pinned point is not the same value as the pin.  In LAB, for example, the a and b seem to be right, but the L may differ.  I assume that in RGB and HSB the act of pinning fixes the color but sometimes leaves a point darker or lighter than the pin. 

CMYK:  heavy sigh, it works after a fashion.  For example, when I bring up the mask cart the K mask is fixed.  I cannot change GCR.  If I go to wg cmyk and back, I get that option.  It is not an obvious system.  I guess if no one else complains, it is me.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Yep, too cyan.  The real answer was to fix the b curve after trying to colorize it.  Colorizing (with LAB) seems to push skies into cyan.  I think that is easier to fix after lab curves than trying to fix a better sky value.

Pins:  When I pin, it pushes the curves in the "right" direction.  Sometimes (?) the pinned point is not the same value as the pin.  In LAB, for example, the a and b seem to be right, but the L may differ.  I assume that in RGB and HSB the act of pinning fixes the color but sometimes leaves a point darker or lighter than the pin. 

Check the Pin Mode..Sometimes they are set to Hue and saturation but not brightness.
See shot1: the top red mark shows a right click point.  You will get the fly out menu shown in Shot2.
the bottom red marked area has a marker for de-activating the pin.  this allows you see the effect of the pin and decide what you want to do.

CMYK:  heavy sigh, it works after a fashion.  For example, when I bring up the mask cart the K mask is fixed.  I cannot change GCR.  If I go to wg cmyk and back, I get that option.  It is not an obvious system.  I guess if no one else complains, it is me.

Let me kick this one around a bit...what version of CM are you running now...
Greg
Attachments
pin-marker-jpg
pin-marker-jpg (30.67 KiB) Viewed 5995 times
pin-marker2-jpg
pin-marker2-jpg (167.56 KiB) Viewed 5995 times

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:26 pm

cm 3.2.4  I think windows 7 and cs 5 (32 bit) are part of the problem.  If it were a generic problem, Mike would have more complaints. 

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:38 pm

I'm trying out a trail of CS5 and 3.2.4b
I'll let you know what I see on my systems with CMYK

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2010”