Toroko Gorge Lab experiments Part 1

This is the discussion thread for the September 2010 Class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:30 pm

Hmmm--I think I confused myself with this image, but I came up with some major insights that I should have caught on to long ago!

Example 1 is before I set a neutral point and just manually moved everything to neutral.  Thus it just now dawned on me that if you make the A and B channels at 0 throughout the image, you make the image black and white.  Duh--it takes me awhile before a concept REALLY sinks in.  I mistakenly thought that was the only way to get rid of color casts--and, yes, it really does!  And I was so proud of myself that I got everything to 0's throughout the image...!

Example B:  I set a neutral.  Amazing--when you set a neutral you effectively lock out changing the middle of the curve.  You "set" the neutral in stone.  How come I never realized this before?!  (Don't answer that; it would be embarrassing!).  Then I torqued up the saturation and got a more interesting image.  I have two versions of this, and I'm not sure what I did to the second version (forgot to get a screen shot before I applied it), but it's still B&W.  More contrast than the original neutral B&W. 

To be continued in the next post.
Attachments
toroko-gorge-lab-screenshot-bw-all-neutral-jpg
toroko-gorge-lab-screenshot-bw-all-neutral-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 3464 times
toroko-gorge-bw-jpg
toroko-gorge-bw-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 3464 times
toroko-gorge-bw-2-jpg
toroko-gorge-bw-2-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 3464 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:33 pm

There is color in the image. 
You have locked the wider range out by setting the two marks to either side of the center of the A and B grids. 
Your first screen shot tells the tale...

Most of the color in the A and B channels is very close to the center...When you lock the curve as you have done and then twist the ends you don't get any color because you are working on out of Gamut Colors....RGB cannot produce the colors that LAB is telling it to...

Greg
Attachments
screenshot001-jpg-42
screenshot001-jpg-42 (227.92 KiB) Viewed 3464 times

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2010”