Art...dog...contrast?

This is the discussion thread for the September 2010 Class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:47 pm

I'm not sure what we are trying to do with the dog and adjusting the contrast of the dog's fur.  To increase the color of the dog's fur, I'd never use CM as that seems like overkill.  Whenever I want to increase the color of some area of an image, I always use Color Mechanic Pro.  I'm not trying to do a promotion for Color Mechanic Pro, I just find that it's an easier way to adjust colors. 

Here is the dog picture.  I have increased the color of it's fur, made the grass a bit greener, and made his tongue pinker, and changing each color had no impact on the rest of the picture.
Attachments
art-dog-colored-01-jpg
art-dog-colored-01-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 6008 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:06 am

The biggest impact is in the color contrast and using the contrast pin. 
We get into this more with leaves and greens later in the class.

The contrast pin can be used in all color spaces...It is most effective in clearing the haze from some pictures,  and it can be used to differentiate between shades of colors.  This is where we introduce it and start to work with it on specific trouble areas.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:33 am

Okay Greg...my bad.  I found that the contrast method seemed too touchy.....a little adjustment made a big difference, making it difficult to make small adjustments, that's why I went with Color Mechanic Pro.  I'll try to stick with CM and not use other programs. ;)

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:15 am

It is touchy.  Try the cursor keys. 

I had a golden retriever  (heavy sigh)  great dog.  From a strictly personal point of view, I did not like any higher contrast in the coat.  I preferred the look of the softer coat.  but alas that was not the assignment.  (I think Greg knows what he is doing).

I miss our dog. 

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:24 pm

One thing to remember about this...It can be a "little goes a long way" kind of process.  I often use one of the other tools we have called the curve highlighter to help me figure out what I am affecting. 

If you select the contrast pin and then click on the highlight curve tool you can better see what is being changed.  The area of the curve between the two selected points is in the highlight.

Greg
Attachments
screenshot003-jpg-18
screenshot003-jpg-18 (271.59 KiB) Viewed 6008 times

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2010”