Rhonda--Pumpkin

This is the discussion thread for the September 2010 Class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:46 am

It's getting late, so I didn't take too long on this.  I really didn't know what I was doing, so just messed around.  Have a screen shot of my first try and second try.  I'd need to see a pumpkin in real life to know for sure what color they are!  Second image is shinier, but darker and somewhat unreal looking.
Attachments
pumpkins-screenshot-jpg
pumpkins-screenshot-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 3106 times
pumpkins-screenshot-2-jpg
pumpkins-screenshot-2-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 3106 times

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:32 pm

Rhonda,pumpkins are yellow-orange.often with mixed colors  and surface imperfections of a generally grey color.Lifting the saturation for this image brings out a magenta-red almost neon cast located about 25 on the horizontal saturation scale.Lowering the curve at 25  desaturates the cast a bit and is a shortcut for going to RGB or Lab and doing a real correction.For this image sliding the right end of diagonal left only throws out pixels with color info.See bottom image for an instance where you can slide the line over and even lift the curve,no pixels,no info.The lightness channel actually shows good distribution  from side to side.A slight lift at approx 10 brings out  the lettering on the carton and pulling the curve down at 75 restores the original brightness(pulling bellow dotted line will darken image).GregM
PS I don't mess with the hue channel in HSB,unless you really know your color theory and spaces it can really turn around and bit you.
Attachments
splotchy-jpg
splotchy-jpg (190 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
pumpsnippet3-jpg
pumpsnippet3-jpg (127.03 KiB) Viewed 3106 times

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2010”