Merry Go Round---and round and round...

This is the discussion thread for the September 2010 Class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:31 am

Analysis Paralysis!  I have three versions.  My first try was last night--I didn't remember to do a screen shot before sending it to PS.  It's called "Merry Go Round CM 1st try RGB sent to PS."  It took me about 5 minutes and I did very little with it except move the ALL slider to make it steeper, and Greg suggested. 

The second one I did today and spent about 2 hours on it, but I don't like it as well.  This one I do have a screen shot for.  I spent most of my time trying to adjust the numbers in my hue clocks.  The problem was that I'd adjust one clock to get it right, and it would whack the others.  I went back and forth, back and forth, and when I got all three clocks close to equal numbers, I quit.  This is a question of "eye view" or 'numbers view."  Either my sample clocks were taken from a poor part of the image, or I should rely more on my eye!  It's possible to have a good image in which there is a color cast that's pleasing. 

The third image is a try using LAB.  I was shocked when I was in the RGB version and I clicked on LAB in CM--the LAB rendition was terrible, which peaked my curiosity.  The LAB version didn't look as good as the RGB, but I thought I worked the clocks about right...

So my main question is how to place and use hue clocks to get it right.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:31 am

Well LAB and RGB are different processes all together.  Adjusting color in LAB is a tougher challenge and you certainly have to have patience.  Your RGB image looks very nice...I woudl take it into LAB and boost the color but that is about it..The LAB looks a bit forced...Try to find a good neutral on the horses neck, adjust the shadow and highlight ends of the L curve and use the saturation slider at the bottom of the LAB panel to boost the color.

The hue clocks are pretty straight forward.  I usually set on on the Brightest Highlight with Detail one on the Darkest Shadow with Detail and a neutral in the mid-tone range if possible.

In RGB I work for a decent match on the colors it is possible to get all the numbers to be equal but if you are having a great deal of trouble you should move the hue clock point a bit and see if you can get a better result.  Remember that the sample size does have a bearing on this as a 3X3 sample creates a 9 pixel sample.  If you are having toruble try 4 or 5 pixels. 

In general I would say you can spend anywhere from 10-25 minutes on an image and then it is time to move along...
After a while the effect called "simultaneous contrast" kicks in and you start to think everything looks good when it does not. 
Your eyes start to adjust to the color of the image and your brain makes the colors look normal to you...Try this out...
http://www.moillusions.com/2006/06/black-and-white-spanish-castle-in.html

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:23 am

Very interesting link.  When the image switches, I see it in color for about a half a second, then it reverts to B&W.  Do you see the color longer?

My two RGB images are different.  The top one is the quick-fix one, and the bottom one I spent a long time on.  I think the top one is better.  Do you?

Thanks so much for all your help!

Rhonda

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:49 am

Colors in the RGB1 image very nice,floral panels especially.GregM

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:54 pm

I see the color for a few seconds and it slowly fades...That is really my point...Your eyes and brain can work against you by design...You need to be aware of this effect when you spend a long time staring at he image...

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2010”