julie drawings rgb

This is the discussion thread for the September 2010 Class.
imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:50 pm

Greg
It was harder to control the effects here. when I tried to change the brightness/contrast the colours changed as well. It was a good reminder. This is the best i could do.
Julie

PS my hue clocks in cmyk have disappeared again. They seem to be there when I first install and then disappear on the first shutdown of the computer. I did try shutting down photoshop yesterday and the hue clocks remain but they are gone today. I will try the other version you recomended
Attachments
drawingsrgb-jpg
drawingsrgb-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5185 times
drawingsrgb-copy-jpg
drawingsrgb-copy-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5185 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:12 am

Julie,
It seems like you could just take it a few inches further down the road and you would be in a better place....

In my screen shot you can see that I rotated the curves to increase saturation and color contrast. to do this... Set a highlight hue clock and a shadow hue clock. Twist the curve so that the highlight and shadow stay neutral.  you can twist the curves by placing your mouse on the curve frame so you have the double headed bent arrow and left clicking and dragging the mouse slowly left and right.  the curve ends will move and the curve line will rotate about the center of the grid.

So long as you keep the shadow and highlight neutral you should be good.  Do this on your posted copy.  The neutral was solid and I was able to make the curve work for me...

You can load my posted ACV file on your posted image and see what I have done...

I then adjusted the blue curve but only in the area where the bright blue background was.  I wanted to try to make it pop more like LAB...

Please ask any questions..
Greg
Attachments
screenshot002-jpg-41
screenshot002-jpg-41 (235.05 KiB) Viewed 5185 times
drawingsrgb-copy-jpg-rgb_gg-acv
(74 Bytes) Downloaded 324 times

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:57 am

Greg
This all seems new. Maybe I have just forgotten. Do I have this right.

When I rotate the curves in EGB the second set of number on the highlight and shadow should become 0,0,0 and 100,100,100. Is that right.
I could really see the colours start to shine.

I find the shadow highlight or thresholds very hard to interpret in RGB. anu hints

Julie

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:01 pm

When you rotate the curves in RGB it the highlight and shadow are neutral then yes the numbers will match and You can go as far as 0,0,0 or 255,255,255 on the highlight side.  I move the ends of the master curve to boost the contrast a bit and make the colors pop a bit...You have to be careful that you are not moving points on the separate color channels...Master channel moves can be dangerous...or at least time consuming...

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2010”