julie drawings lab

This is the discussion thread for the September 2010 Class.
imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:10 pm

Greg
I did this in lab. Had to fiddle a bit to make sure that when i darkened writing I did not make everything too dark. I think its ok but could I havemade it brighter without losing contrast?
I boosted the colour but noticed that the photograph of the trees went way too green so I stopped the green and the yellow and pushed the blue and magenta further. I would like your opinion on wether this has mucked up the colour balance.
I sharpened a little before the final post
Julie
Attachments
drawingslab-jpg
drawingslab-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5158 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:02 am

Julie,
Taking you posted image...

Brighter comes from the highlight end of the L channel here.  You have the room and can push the curve end in as shown in the screen shot.  I am also posting the ACV file for you to load and look at the curves I wrote for the white page.  Open your posted image and load this curve file.
Both A and B need a bit of a bend right near the neutral due to your corrections first and then mine. 

The blue can stand up to a lot of abuse in this image but the magenta cannot and blocks up quickly from where you are..you left it in a fair place as far as I see it.  You were right to look at the greens as they are a give away.  But if you remove the bluish cast that the image has the greens get much better. 

I would say that the Strong shadow on the left is "ok" to lose it's detail.  Remember... we are talking about "significant shadows" here...not just detail for details sake.  If the shadows are not important...I suppose you could argue that they are in this image... but I'm going to throw them away for the sake of better detail in the text. To me that is the real shadow detail I am after....

Greg
Attachments
screenshot001-jpg-55
screenshot001-jpg-55 (172.13 KiB) Viewed 5158 times
drawingslab-jpg-lab_gg-acv
(110 Bytes) Downloaded 298 times

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:39 am

Greg
I have tried this and I can see how it changes the colour, makinging it brighter and more pure. So am I right in thinking that in lab you can get rid of a colour cast by flattening the curve in the middle a tiny bit. Is this what you have done?

In the L channel there is a flat bit on the curve. I couldn't work out where it was in the picture. How did you get away with this. I have tried it and the photo always looks very strange. Can you explain for me please.

At the moment in 2.19 I have hue clocks and pins.

Julie

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:30 pm

Greg
I have tried this and I can see how it changes the colour, makinging it brighter and more pure. So am I right in thinking that in lab you can get rid of a colour cast by flattening the curve in the middle a tiny bit. Is this what you have done?

Yes the flat spot kills off local color casts. in this image I used that to make the white page whiter and kill off the bluish cast you were getting on the white page.

In the L channel there is a flat bit on the curve. I couldn't work out where it was in the picture. How did you get away with this. I have tried it and the photo always looks very strange. Can you explain for me please.

The Bump you see is brightening the white page as well.  Make sure your L channel is oriented the same as mine otherwise the curve needs to be inverted.  The bump at about L(85) moves it up into the 90's making it brighter.  I set a point on the curve line and use the arrow keys to slowly move the point up while watching the hue clock to make the adjustment.  The points to the right and left control the adjustment and limit it to the very narrow range.  I did not want the increase in brightness to spread greatly over the entire image...All of the brightest parts are effected but I did not want to drive too much color out of the other pages.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2010”