Pin Palette won't open

This is the discussion thread for the September 2010 Class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:26 pm

Hi Greg,

I cannot get the pin palette to show.  I have an XP desktop and a Windows 7 laptop.  I'm primarily using the XP desktop because the monitor screen is best for color correction.  I Googled the issue and found a user with the same problem and you told him where to find the .txt files.  I followed the advice and found the file called Goodies and two text files:  Nature.txt and People.txt.  What do I do with them?  I don't know how to upload them into CM.  Your screenshot from your computer showed more pins that the two files I have--should I have more? 

Also, I do use two monitors and it would be nice to move the color palette to my second screen.  Pressing control and trying to drag doesn't work.  Again I just get the pencil with several lines.  Have I got a corrupt download?

Thanks!

Rhonda

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:44 pm

Post a screen shot of you CM interface so I can see if the Pins Pallet is open.  Once there we can figure out the best way to get your pins working.

Greg

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:32 am

I had a problem with pins here is what der Curvemeister replied...

Here's a workaround that should get you on the air with pins.

1) start up the pin palette by clicking on the large pin icon in the ribbon at the top of the Curvemeister window (the pin palette is the window that would normally contain the pins)
2) right click on the pin palette to get the popup menu, and select the "Manage Pins" command.  This is where Curvemeister wants your pins to be.
3) copy your pins to this folder.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Mike

Once again I, too, have problems with pins.  I am on the road this week and the problem is at my desktop at home. 

Which folder/location are the pins?

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:13 am

I have attached a screen shot of the page.  Pin Palette is not open or I would be able to see it, right?  I can click on either of the icons shown and nothing happens.  If I right click I get customization options.  I used that to add the pin icon to the quick access toolbar, but it too is not active.

About moving the color palettes--whether I click Control first or after clicking the mouse makes no difference, I still get the pen with the vertical lines when I touch Control.

I'll try re-installing...

Thanks for your help.

Rhonda
Attachments
screenshot-of-curvemeister-opening-page-jpg
screenshot-of-curvemeister-opening-page-jpg (135.53 KiB) Viewed 9299 times

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:37 am

I uninstalled and reinstalled CM and checked on both CS3 and CS4 and the pins would not open in either version.  I have never been able to install CM on CS5...

Rhonda

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:56 pm

Hmmm...
I'll Point Mike at this one.....

Hang in there...we need them next week....
Greg

Postby -default » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:39 pm

Ouch - how embarassing.  This is a bug that's been around for quite some time.  On some systems, the pins will stay open if they were that way already, but once you close them that's it.

The quick solution is to go back to version 3.0.12, which supports normal pin operation.  I'll see about getting out a special release for the class asap.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:08 pm

Mike it is happening on My Win 7 64 Bit install as well...CS4

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:26 pm

While we're at it, will the earlier version install in CS5?  I couldn't get the current version to show up when I recently got CS5.

I Googled someone with a similar problem, and you asked him to do a restore point to before he installed the latest CM.  Do you think I should do that?  I have 2 machines--an XP desktop and a Windows 7 laptop--both 32 bit.

I've installed CS5 after I installed CM on CS4, so I'd have to go back and re-install CS5 if I need to do a system restore--ugh.  Hope not!

Thanks!

Rhonda

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:35 pm

Rhonda,
If you install CM 3.0.12 with CS5...The installer does not know that CS5 exists and will not search for the plug-ins folder. 

After install the 8BF file should be found in the Curvemeister.com folder under the program files or in the C:Program Files (x86)Curvemeister.comCurvemeister_3 folder.  You will have to copy it to the CS5 32 bit version of Photoshop in C:Program Files (x86)AdobeAdobe Photoshop CS4Plug-insFilters  Replace "CS4" with CS5 and you should have it.

Paste the 8bf file into the filters folder and re-start CS5 it should work.
Let me know if you do not succeed with this.  We will get this working for you ASAP.
Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2010”