Statue of Liberty

This is the discussion thread for the September 2010 Class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:56 pm

Just set the shadows and highlights and added a tinge of blue to the sky.
Attachments
statue-of-liberty-jpg
statue-of-liberty-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 6104 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:45 pm

Rhonda,
The patina is too blue as well.  you can limit the blue to just the sky and still leave the statue looking copper green in color. 

In shot 1 I have used the green channel to add green to the statue and still keep the sky blue.  The circle in the sky points to the curve area that contains the sky information.  Because the sky has a different brightness I can adjust the statue and use control points to bring the sky back to the mid-line.  Points above the statue area are added to make the texture and the tonality of the statue look right because of the strong adjustment..."control points" if you might call them that.

Greg
Attachments
screenshot001-jpg-57
screenshot001-jpg-57 (295.53 KiB) Viewed 6104 times

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:40 am

Well, I'm submitting a revised version.  I went in to duplicate your work, but I can't figure out what's going on.  My RGB numbers are on a scale of 0-100.  I ended up moving the blue slider and it made the figure more green without substantially changing the sky.  I'm totally confused!  When I tried to change the green, I'd move the curve point, the sky color would change but the hue clock would hardly move.  I was trying to match your numbers, but couldn't move the numbers.  ARG!  Me and numbers don't agree!
Attachments
statue-of-liberty-revised-jpg
statue-of-liberty-revised-jpg (72.2 KiB) Viewed 6104 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:01 pm

OK..You have your settings adjusted for % not actual numbers.
Click on the "wrench" Icon and go to the curves 2 tab and set the option for 0-255

Greg
Attachments
shot1-jpg-53
shot1-jpg-53 (40.91 KiB) Viewed 6104 times

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:05 pm

Always something!  But I was surprised that changing the blue channel only affected the green mostly...  Also, when you use RGB, isn't there supposed to be a window that says All?  Don't worry about answering this until I get the earlier version of CM loaded.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:56 pm

It looks to me like the sample size is the issue...As you effect the blues and greens the sample will change under the hue clock.  The resolution of the image is such that you might have had more green pixels selected than blue...I know..."How would you know??"  You would not...but If you found it odd that your adjustment did little to the blue channel; that should be a warning flag...

Also, visually you might not see the change in the sky until you went further.  You adjusted the "Dark End" of the curve, your change would be slow to effect the lighter shades of the statue; because of the slope of the curve line; the large change in the shadow end translates to a small change in the brightness end.  It's the angle of the line that makes this effect occur.  My Adjustment went right after the area effected.  Yours is spread across the entire image.

You have the curves settings for lightness to be on the right and I have them on the left.  My curves will be backwards for your current settings.  That is why you probably had so much trouble.  I guess that would make sense if you are south of the equator...  ::)

Also...there is a master channel that can be displayed.  Again in the configuration screens look for the check box.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2010”