Flower from Rhonda

This is the discussion thread for the September 2010 Class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:30 am

Moving right along--here's the flower.  I've gotten much faster now that I quit trying to get a perfect result, and a few things seem to be falling into place. 

I still don't know the difference between moving a point up and down vs. sideways.  In the flower I picked a point near the center of the bottom left flower and moved it to the right a tad and it seemed to bring out the small detail in the middle of the flowers.  Maybe not--hard to tell.
Attachments
flower-jpg-3
flower-jpg-3 (999 Bytes) Viewed 5015 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:07 pm

Well done on the flower...
You held the details in the highlights and the color overall looks good.

RE: Up Down Left or Right.

A qualified depends. 

In lab if you move a A or B Channel point Up or Down you have the effect of desaturating the color.  A L channel point can effect lightness and contrast.
In lab if you move a A or B Channel pointLeft or Right you increase saturation and you can change a local color.  For instance: if you want to kill off a color cast in a specific shadow area you can adjust a very narrow portion of the B channel and only effect the color you want.  See shot attached.  the point near the center was moved right which in effect moved the curve down...

In most cases the net effect is the same.  "the qualified depends" comes into play here...some times when you near the corners you cannot move the point horizontally you have to move it vertically.  Sometimes when you have the curve pinned down pretty hard you have to move a direction and cannot get there in the direction you want...again "The qualified depends"

Greg

Attachments
screenshot001-jpg-58
screenshot001-jpg-58 (141.36 KiB) Viewed 5015 times

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:30 pm

As usual, thanks so much Greg!

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:57 pm

yoou are quite welcome...please let me know if this is confusing you...

Great questions...really...

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2010”