Is there a "step backwards" or sequential undo button?

This is the discussion thread for the September 2010 Class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:05 am

Hi,

I looked in the manual and see that Control Z can be used to undo a step.  However when I invoke that command I get a beep and nothing happens--a little pencil and several horizontal lines show up briefly.  I need to backstep through several operations--I had a curve looking pretty good, but messed up some steps in the Blue channel and I couldn't get the curve back to where I had it and had to start all over from scratch.  If I hit reset, it resets the entire image.  Am I missing something?

Also, will the tutorials and videos be available for review after the class is over.  They are most helpful.  Thank you so much!

Rhonda

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:26 am

Rhonda,
If you apply the curve; you can undo the change in Photoshop with Ctrl-z. 
If you have just made a move in CM and you want to undo it...It really depends on what you did.  Most of the time you can delete the adjustment point and the curve will snap back to where it was.  Otherwise you can right click on the grid and select "reset", "reset this curve", "reset color curves".

The pencil and the bars is what happens when you hold down the Ctrl key it is a part of setting a control point on all curves at once.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:54 pm

I guess I'll just have to be more careful--I made several adjustments to the Blue channel, just guessing away and one contorted the curve to whackoville.  I was so shocked that I couldn't remember exactly what point had mess it up.

So you're saying that if you do an Apply to send it back to Photoshop, THEN hit control Z, it undoes the last step you did in CM, or it just undoes the apply?  Sorry...

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:30 pm

Once you hit Photoshop you have to undo the entire CM apply...It's like Photoshop in that regard...
Many times when you whack a curve you can just re-set that curve to get back.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2010”