Greetings! and Welcome

This is the discussion thread for the September 2010 Class.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:10 am

Class will open on the 5th of September 2010.

I want you to know that the first week can be confusing and intimidating and sometimes downright scary if you are new to image correction using curves.  We will do the best we can to keep you up to speed; but some of the experienced users might be putting some stuff out here that makes little sense at first. 

Please...in the words of Douglas Adams...."DON'T PANIC!" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Adams

The first week is kind of free form and we allow all forum members to see into the class so there most likely will be a very interesting discussion that usually helps all members.

After the first week we will "close the door" so to speak and get down to the curriculum written by Mike and myself.  The curriculum is as shown with some minor additions and hopefully tons of discussion.  Our experience over the last 3 years teaching the class has shown that the more discussion that occurs the better everyone in the class learns the materials.  It is possible to sit on the sidelines and take the class without posting your images; but we hope that you will post and comment on each others work. We will make every effort to keep the postings friendly and encouraging.

Do not be afraid to ask questions. 

Our goal is to add Curvemeister to your everyday work flow and make it one of the first tools you look for in your image correction work flow...we will do that by showing you how powerful and hopefully easy it is to use. 

If we fail to answer your questions poke us in the side...We'll do whatever it takes....

Thanks for choosing the Curvemeister plug in and for being willing to explore image correction on our forum.

Greg Groess
Mike Russell

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:09 am

Hey there!  I just joined this forum, and I have a few questions about the class.  First, how does it work?  I mean, is it a live class that is held at a certain time, or is it just posts that you can read at any time?  This is not explained anywhere, and I need to know this because if it's a live class, I am not home on Sundays, so I'd miss the class.

I also have many questions about using curves....any curves, so I'll look for the appropriate thread to ask them.  Oh, I do have Curvemeister 3, I've had it for a good while now, and to be honest, I never use it.  It's just like Photoshop's Curves, only more complicated.  I never understood  Photoshop's Curves, so I know I'll never understand Curvemeister, but I'm willing to give it another try.

Art

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:26 pm

Art,
The class works like this...Each week I post a set of lessons and images for you to work on.

You work at your pace and your post results or questions to this thread and I or Mike Russell and a few well chosen users will help you out.  I lead the class and will answer most of the questions but If I am slow or think someone else has a better answer I'll let them help you. 

We'll discuss the image in question until you are satisfied you understand the process and techniques being presented.  If you need help on a week 1 image in week 6 we'll tackle that.  You also have access to the class board for well over a year after the class closes.  I frequently get questions posted in older class boards and I do answer them as well.  Mike and I want you to use the program and understand it.  It is our goal to have everyone that wants to; to be able to use CM on every image and enjoy the process.

There is usually 1 interactive session where I share my screen out to the class and we all connect via conference call for about 1 hour.  This usually occurs after the 3rd or 4th week so that you have enough material to be asking questions about.  Most of the people really love this part of the class.

Everyone in the class can read everyone's postings and see the images.  The ideas, discussion and complements are the heart and soul of the class you cannot learn this in a vacuum, the more we discuss the more everyone learns.

We love questions...If you have them we want to hear them..they always lead us into a new or poorly understood area and everyone in the class usually benefits when that happens.  Even if you do not take the class ask away..you'll get answers here...

Greg

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:06 am

Hi Greg

Its  julie.  I did the class a year ago. I think it was the september class. I would really like to do it again. I have become lazy and just use the same few techniques all the time.

Is there still room in the class and how do I pay if there is.

Other problem is I do not seem to have hue clocks in curvemeister hsb at the monment.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Julie Moltmann

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:08 am

Hi Julie,
There is plenty of room in the class just follow the link in the role posting above and you should be able to get where you're going.
What version of Curvemeister are you currently using? We had some problems in the past and maybe updating to the latest version will solve the hue clock problem.
Greg

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:04 am

Greg
I have 3.0.15. Is that the latest. I know  a while ago I downloaded different versions as I was having trouble with pins. Now I am not sure where I ended up.
Julie

Just upgraded to 3.1.0.0. but still have no hue clocks in CMYK. I haven't had them for ages no matter what version I used. I haven't played with pins yet so I am not sure how I will go there.

Julie

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi, I just joined the class last night and am waiting to try to download an update for Curvemeister--I've been communicating with Mike about a serial number issue.  Meanwhile, I read the posts on the forum and I must say that I'm completely overwhelmed and hesitant to continue.  I started the class two years ago, but had to quit because of not enough time.  I have no memory whatsoever how to use Curvemeister, let alone try to plunge in and fix an image when I only have about an hour a day.  I'lve already spent a half hour reading the posts and feel quite confused and frustrated.  I am one who needs to learn by steps: 1.  Here is how you do the first thing--move your cursor to ... 2.  Here is how you do the second thing--click on...  Does this class rely on people having instinctive insight on how to actually work the program?  Sorry to be a whiner!  Rhonda

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:02 pm

Rhonda
We go step by step in the class.  If you have 1 hour a day you will do great...
I will be there every day helping and suggesting.  The written materials are easy and explain the curves very well...

We'll get you there...
Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:04 pm

Greg
I have 3.0.15. Is that the latest. I know  a while ago I downloaded different versions as I was having trouble with pins. Now I am not sure where I ended up.
Julie

Just upgraded to 3.1.0.0. but still have no hue clocks in CMYK. I haven't had them for ages no matter what version I used. I haven't played with pins yet so I am not sure how I will go there.

Julie

That is the 3.2.0 version and it should work for you.  The CMYK stuff has been an issue and we will try to get it figured out ASAP for everyone...

Welcome Julie...
Greg

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:19 pm

About uploading from Photoshop.  Do color profiles make a difference?  I tried a couple of times and the color of the sky turned cyan. 

Sorry for the newbies question. 

What profile should I use?

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2010”