Questions upon questions....

This is the discussion thread for the September 2010 Class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:11 pm

I would love to say "I know it all."  or "Gee, that is simple."

I think I have the concept.  The concept is that a curve is a graphical interface to color correction.

But I have trouble doing the curves.  I do not think I am confused, but I am clumsy and not conversant.

I think that this class is for intermediate to advanced users, not beginners like me.  It starts out an an intermediate level and works from there.  If you have no knowledge of curves, then you'll get lost in the shuffle.....like me. ;)

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:43 pm

That is an interesting observation Art....

I would say that on a photographic correction scale...most people do not come looking for curves until they reach a "certain level" That level "usually" includes the color spaces and some overview knowledge of what can be done in them....but that has never stopped Curvemeister and the forum from being able to help people.  I want you to get the process

I will say that Steve is partially right in that curves are a graphic interface but it goes beyond the basic adjustments in Photoshop.  Photoshop reduces curves down to sliders.  As you have seen in just the RGB corrections alone; the brightness effects the results across the entire image.  In PS you can select presets for Brightness, Shadow and Mid-tone.  That would be like me saying to you...I will pick the tonal range you can adjust, Live with it...The trouble is you have to work very hard with the color sliders to get the fine control you get with curves. 

As you go further into this area you find that you also reach the point where curves are not the answer...that is one of the topics being discussed for the advanced class that is being written. 

BTW Steve...I have an "Easy Button" and sometimes am tempted to use it...But I very clearly remember being stuck in your shoes...I hated the fact that I could make great images but lousy prints.  I think it is one of the biggest frustrations with Photography...As they dumb down the exposure aspects of camera...people are losing the ability to be artistic with image controls...There are certainly exceptions but overall, images are getting worse not better. 

insert here...

Greg ;D

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:13 pm

Greg, CM is an advanced tool for advanced users.  This class seems to be designed for taking intermediate users to the advanced level.  It is not for beginners.....that's why the question was asked about "Fears about the level of the class". 

As someone who has tried to learn Photoshop on my own, I would categorize myself as a beginner to curves because I have never understood them and have never found any tutorials that helped me to understand them.  Since I have no understanding of curves, this class isn't going to help me understand them. 

If I were to use an analogy, using a scale from 0 to 1,000, with 1,000 being the totally complete understanding of CM, and 0 meaning someone who has no understanding of CM, this class started out being around 200.....I was at 0.  Right now, the class is at about 300.....I am at 2.  I will never understand CM because the gap is too wide.

Like I said in an earlier post, if I can understand 1% of CM, I will be lucky.  That won't happen.  I am at less than 1% an I can't grasp what CM is about....I never will.

CM will be a novelty to me to play around with, but I will never use it for anything more than that.  I'd never use it to edit any pictures since I don't know what I am doing with it.  To me CM is nothing but frustrating and complicated, which is what I figured it was going to be, since I don't understand the basic curves in Photoshop and CM is vastly more complicated than that.

The explanations you have given have been a lot of work for you, and I feel bad that they haven't helped me.  I am hoping that they have helped the others here so that all of your work hasn't been in vain.  It's as  if I asked someone a question and they have replied with an excellent, detailed answer.....in Greek.  If I can't understand the words, the explanation does me no good. 

CM is way over my head....it always will be.  I won't bother you with any more questions, since I don't understand the answers.  Suffice to say, I quit.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:51 pm

Art,
I am sorry to hear that...I hope you will continue to lurk and take advantage of the discussions...You will stay on the class list and have access to all the information.  You have not wasted my time and I hope we have not insulted you or wasted your time.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:08 am

Greg, no, no one has offended me in any way.  I didn't mean to imply that.  I just can't understand what is being taught, so there is no point in continuing.  I don't understand what was taught the first week, so I'll never understand anything from then on.

The CM class needs to let people know that the class is for intermediate level people, not beginners.  A beginner has no chance of understanding CM.....it's too complicated. 

I thought this would be the case since the very first week.  When that first open week was held, there were people who had taken the class one or more times, and yet still they didn't know how to use CM.  They would post their work and ask questions.  If these people who were advanced users of CM still had to ask questions, then there was no chance that I would understand CM.

I am not accustomed to a class like this one.  Every class I've taken in school (high school, college, whatever) is different than this one.  If I went to a math class, the teacher would place a problem on the blackboard, then explain how to solve it, step by step.....step one he'd show you this.....step two, he'd show you that.  During that explanation, the students would ask questions.  Once the problem was finished, he'd put up a second problem and explain how to solve that one, step by step, all the while fielding questions from the students.  Once the second problem was solved, he'd place a third problem on the board, only this time, he'd ask the class what the first step was.....then he'd ask what the second step was.  He'd keep asking the class what the next step was until the problem was solved.

Once he saw that we understood the steps, he'd give us some problems to solve at our desks, then ask us for our answers.  When he saw that we could solve the problems, he'd assign us some problems for homework.  When we got home and did the homework, we'd go about it step by step.

If instead, he said, here are some basic things you need to know, then gave us a video that showed us some tips, then gave us problems to take home to solve, no one would have known how to solve them because we wouldn't know where to start.

That's what I got from this class.  We are left to figure things out, and if we can't, we just stumble around, trying different things to see if we can figure them out.  I can't learn that way.  Maybe others can, but I need to have a step by step process to solve a problem.

With the examples here, I felt like it was a big secret that we had to figure out.  Why give us pictures to edit when we don't know what we are doing?  It seems to me that it would be better if the first few classes were dedicated to teaching us what tools CM has, how they work, when to use them, and how they interact with each other.  Once this foundation was laid, then go on to editing pictures.  You can't edit pictures if you don't know the tools and how they work.

For example, the first class should explain what the color spaces are....RGB and LAB.  We don't need to know any more than that at first.  Bring in the HSB and CMYK at the end of the classes, since we rarely use them.  The explanation of RGB and LAB doesn't need to be technical, just discuss that LAB is used when you want to adjust the brightness and not the colors of an image, and RGB is used when you need to adjust the colors of an image.  No more is needed to be said, since that's all we are concerned with.

Once that has been discussed, then discuss how a curve works.  Explain how you determine what each curve does and what part of the curve needs to be adjusted and how you arrived at that place on the curve.  Use simple terms to explain this.

Once the curves have been explained, give us some examples to work on......not entire pictures, just areas of colors to adjust to show us what happens to the areas when you make each adjustment.

Once the curves have been explained, then go on to hue clocks and how they work.  Explain how to set one, what the numbers mean, and how to adjust their numbers by adjusting a curve.  Let us work on a few examples.  Give detailed screen shots and explanations for each example.

Once we've explored hue clocks, explain how to set a shadow, highlight, and neutral point on an image.  Explain what they do.  Explain why we need to know this.

Once all of this has been discussed, then we can move on to pictures.  I would think that would be during the third week.  The first two weeks would have been devoted to the above discussions. 

What this class has done is to give us some basic information, then we are given pictures to work on with no idea of where to start, what tools to use, how to use them, and what we are trying to achieve.  This is why I can't understand anything.  I feel like I'm forced to just take a stab at anything I can find just to see if it helps me.  I'm stumbling around trying to figure out what to do with no idea as to how anything works.  This is why I said that I don't have the basic knowledge that I guess you need to understand CM.

Greg, you have worked your butt off trying to help me, but when you try to explain things, you are starting at a point that is so far above my level that the explanation is incomprehensible to me.  If you never explained a "floating neutral", then how am I supposed to know what it is, how to set it, what it does, and why I need it? 

By the same token, we are told that we need to adjust whatever to get the hue clocks to read 0,0,0 to get a neutral.  Then we are told that we need to adjust the hues clocks to 1,1,1....or 216....or whatever, to get a neutral.  I still have no idea what a hue clock has to read to get a neutral because every example we get, the numbers are different, and we aren't told why.

Terms are used that make no sense....like we need to set a threshold hue clock....where is that?  I don't see anything called that, but it's not explained, so how can I set it if I don't know what it is, where to find it or how to set it?

These are only a few examples of why I am confused, but I could go on and on.

I am not complaining, I am just trying to explain why I can't grasp what is being taught.  Maybe they need to have a beginner's class or make this class a ten or twelve week course, starting out with the basics that I mentioned.  I think that everyone would benefit a lot more from the class if this was done.  Of course, I would also expect to pay a lot more for the course since the instructor would have to spend a lot more time developing the class.  I'd be willing to pay for it though.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:17 pm

Art,
Your postings are generating a lot of thought and discussion behind the scenes...
We certainly are looking at some of the basic assumptions about the students and the class. 
I thank you for that and for the suggestion that we do a basic class as well as the 101 class. and we are also working on a 201 class as well...there are some pretty advanced users out there as well as some like you who are struggling.

Greg

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:00 pm

My humble suggestion...  (Greg is very patient.)

Go to week 2 solutions.  I print them out on a cheap laser printer.  Go step by step and emulate Greg's step.  Even if you do not understand the why, just do.  Compare the final with the initial image. 

Was the process "worth it"? 

If at the end you can understand, setting shadow, highlight, and neutral, and how to color boost, I think the effort worth it.  When done, you can open PS, run CM and in a few minutes do all of those, CM and this class is "worth it." 

Don't worry about falling behind.  Don't worry about posting about week 2 image in week 6. 

Or just quit.  Just a humble suggestion.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:26 pm

My humble suggestion...  (Greg is very patient.)

Go to week 2 solutions.  I print them out on a cheap laser printer.  Go step by step and emulate Greg's step.  Even if you do not understand the why, just do.  Compare the final with the initial image. 

Was the process "worth it"? 

If at the end you can understand, setting shadow, highlight, and neutral, and how to color boost, I think the effort worth it.  When done, you can open PS, run CM and in a few minutes do all of those, CM and this class is "worth it." 

Don't worry about falling behind.  Don't worry about posting about week 2 image in week 6. 

Or just quit.  Just a humble suggestion.

Hi Steve!  Yes, I agree that Greg is very patient.  He'd have to be with my questions. :)

As for going back to week 2, I have gone back many times to all of the weeks we've had so far, and to be honest, some of what I've learned during the third week has helped me understand those first lessons a bit better.  The thing is, I still get lost in some of the other explanations, so I never seem to get very far.

I have tried to follow along with the examples, and sometimes I stumble through it and the results are okay, but even though I end up with a decent result, I  have no idea what I was doing to achieve that result.  If you were to give me another picture to work on, but didn't give me anything to follow along with, I'd never know what to do.

One thing I'll never figure out is when to change color spaces.  If I was working in LAB, I'd stay in LAB.  I'd have no idea when to do an adjustment in LAB, then convert to RGB to make other adjustments, then convert back to LAB again to make even more adjustments.

It's not that I want to quit, I'm just tired of beating my head against the wall trying to figure out what is going on and getting nowhere or getting more confused.  It's like doing a crossword puzzle.  Once you've filled in all of the answers you know, staring at the puzzle for hours isn't going to get you any farther along, so you have to just stop.

I really want to learn to use CM, I just don't have the ability to grasp the concepts that are needed to use it.  Cm is not an easy program to understand.....maybe it's easy for others, but it's very complicated to me.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:18 pm

Art,
I'd like to try something with you if you'll indulge me...Can you give me a bit of time to prepare something for you?  I'd also like you to post a recent image that you want to "fix" and tell me what you think you would do to fix it...All tools on the table not just CM.  If you would just fix it in Photoshop...tell me what tools and techniques you are going to use to fix it.

What I want to get at; is what process you are currently using and how, or when; we can change that process to use Curves.  If we even need to use curves and if we do..then how and why it relates to your description of what you think needs to be done to fix the image.

I'm betting you know lots of Photoshop tricks to get more out of the images...
Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:36 pm

Art,

Here is my request...
Correct the image attached so that the number 2 disappears.  Use only RGB.  Start by setting 2 hue clocks.  one in the number and 1 on the background.  Make the Number the same color as the background.  I know that you are going to say it makes no sense...but please try...let's keep it simple and see where we get...

Greg
Attachments
color-trial1-jpg
color-trial1-jpg (59.51 KiB) Viewed 7609 times

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2010”