Thank you

This is the discussion board for the December 2010 CM 101 Class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:04 pm

Dear Greg,

I would like to thank you very much for what has been a very interesting class. I have learned a whole lot, both from the lessons and also from your comments on my mistakes. Thanks also for the video that you so quickly put together to answer my last question. The last two weeks of the course have been especially interesting as I hadn't seen any of this material before.

I am going to go back through the solutions for most of the most examples so that everything should become even clearer and I intend to continue reading the LAB book by Margulis.

If there is ever a CM 201 course, I am definitely interested. I would love to see CM also as a standalone application and as a plug in to Lightroom.

All the best,

Richard

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:23 pm

Thank you Richard...
I'm on this board all week so feel free to keep asking.

I'm glad you find value in the materials and resources we are providing. 
There is a 201 course being planned...it is a bit tougher because the knowledge base is broader.  No Promises but later this spring is looking good...

Greg 

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:45 am

I also want to thank you.  Great course.  I was murky on some issues.  I tried to push the envelop and become better.  Highly recommended.

I can understand how it is easier to click auto or a couple of sliders, but if you want to get the most you need to do basic correction.  curves are the best and most accurate way to go.  CM is a great interface.

thanks for your patience.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:13 pm

Steve,

I am glad you came back; I think it helped you significantly to re-do some of the sessions and I think it gave you time to jump into CMYK.  I like that you have tried to force yourself to use it more.  I would advise that you use it whenever you get into a spot you think you need a soft touch for...that is where I place it...

Greg

dkrassen

Postby dkrassen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:18 am

Hello.

I still plan on going back on some of the examples and posting them this forum.

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for an excellent course.  Your comments on each image are very complete and very helpful.  You always try to provide an answer or point us in the direction of more research.  Some of the research information, links, you provided require some math but that is not a problem because I have a Computer Science degree with a calculus background.  I have purchased both of Dan Margulis' books and plan on reading them multiple times.  I will also go over the entire forum for our class, picking out information and pasting it into a class notes Word doc; I believe you said my password will give me access to the class forum for at least a year - is this correct? 

My current plan is to review the class notes, the Margulis' books and other web resources including the class forum.  I will be taking this course again, probably one or  two courses from now so I have some time to digest this information.  I will try to  participate in Week 0 (the free week) for each new course.  I suspect I will continue to post questions on the forum; which forum do you prefer for answering CM questions?  Also, do you have an email for direct questions such as checking if a new version of CM fixes old issues but does not introduce new issue?

Again, thank you and I look forward to talking with you in the future.

Thank you
David

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:54 pm

David,
Yes the forum will be available to you for at least a year.  The links to the lessons will change as new classes are run.  If you try to access the class materials and do not see the entire class it is because we are in another class and the links are current for them.

I'm glad I was helpful...sometimes it is difficult at best due to the length of the answers to completely convey the information but I do try to keep following up.  Dan's books are great stuff but as you get further along remember that some of the things that he does are the process he has to follow using PS on Apple OS.  CM brings many different workflows to the process and simplifies most of the processes he advocates.

Please post questions to the general forum there should be a thread you can use for most of your questions.  The reason is that others will benefit from you r question and some of the power users will add comments as well.  You can e-mail me at greg@curvemeister.com that will get to me directly. 

I'll try to get mike to keep the bug list current so you know what you are getting into.  In general Mike squishes bugs as fast as possible.  The last 18 months have been tough because of OS changes and PS version changes.  The 64 bit support was a big hurdle and there were multiple configurations of the OS to work through.

You can take the class as many times as you like.  When I took the course from Mike I took it 2 times about a year apart because I was falling into traps and feeling like I was not making any progress.  There is so much that you can do with Curves and Masks that it really takes time to internalize the information and add it to your workflow.

Greg

dkrassen

Postby dkrassen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Hello

You stated the CM bugs are usually fixed very fast.  There has been mention of a bug in CM 3.3.4 with respect to loading ACV files; has this been fixed?  If this has not been fixed when do you expect it be fixed?

Thank you
David

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:53 pm

Well,
I know Mike went on a vacation to Mexico and he has acknowledged the bug.  He is back now...
I am not certain but I'll ask since he posted a work around...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:47 pm

David, I can really recommend reading chapter 4 in Margulis' LAB book. He is working with pictures with color casts and shows how to use the a and b values to analyze the colors in the image, remove the color cast and then work with the different ends of the curves of the a and b channels to make your color corrections. Of course you can make your life easier by setting a neutral upfront, but you get a better understanding of LAB and how it works if you don't set a neutral and then use the a and b channels to do all your color corrections. I only wish that I had read this chapter before starting this class.

Richard

Return to “Curvemeister 101 - December 2010”