CM - Questions About Smart Filters and Copying a Channel Mask to a Layer Mask

This is the discussion board for the December 2010 CM 101 Class.
dkrassen

Postby dkrassen » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:45 am

Hello.

I am using CM 3.2.5.

I decided to experiment with Smart Filters and copying CM masks to layer masks.  When I copy a channel mask from CM  while invoking CM from a regular layer everything works fine, however, when I copy a channel mask from CM  as a Smart Filter - CM seems to freeze.  A progress indicator comes up and seems to stop moving so I eventually select cancel and CM closes. This occurs immediately upon selecting the copy channel icon.  Why does this occur? 

I found a way around this; that is to select CM while on a regular layer, create the channel mask in CM, copy this channel mask and paste it into a Smart Filter layer mask. 

Thank you
David

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:28 pm

I think what you are seeing is PS trying to make a copy of the mask image as a layer mask.

I'm not 100% on that one...I saw it too; but it closed quickly for me.  I canceled out of CM with the mask on the clipboard and that causes PS to drop the CM data since it was never applied.  The mask stays on the Clipboard though and you can paste it to the layer mask.  When you go back into CM as a smart object do not forget to click the scroll icon.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 - December 2010”