Week 6 - Example 3 - Temple Dragon - Man on Mars on Steroids Technique

This is the discussion board for the December 2010 CM 101 Class.
dkrassen

Postby dkrassen » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:56 pm

Hello.

First, I adjust the saturation slider to bring out the reds.  Then I adjust the A curve, only moving the half that intensifies the greens until the greens are bright.  What do think of this image?

Thank you
David
Attachments
20110127-example3-lugangdragon-manofmarsnsteroidstechnique_lab1screenshot1-jpg
20110127-example3-lugangdragon-manofmarsnsteroidstechnique_lab1screenshot1-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5356 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:41 pm

David,
You have 3 more colors you can adjust.  Each side of the A and B channels is adjustable.  The goal is to bring out the best in each color by stretching the curve a bit in the color ranges to separate the colors...

Think of it like leaves on a tree.  At a great distance you cannot see the individual leaves.  But up close the slight differences in color and lighting make each leaf stand out a bit from the rest...so...in the screen shot attached I have adjusted the Yellow side of the B channel for you.  The area circled on the curve is the two points that were separated.  I moved both points in this correction the top point I moved up and the bottom I move down.  You can do the same on the Blue side of the curve if you like but the straight curve seems to be sufficient for this correction...

Compare the yellows in my screen shot with the same area of your posted image.  The difference is worth going after...

The trap is losing detail in the image...Zoom in and make sure you only adjust until the color starts to overwhelm the detail then back off...

Do the same for the A channel...

Greg
Attachments
shot1-jpg-6
shot1-jpg-6 (295.41 KiB) Viewed 5356 times

Return to “Curvemeister 101 - December 2010”