Week 5 - Example 6 Taipei Toy Store

This is the discussion board for the December 2010 CM 101 Class.
dkrassen

Postby dkrassen » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:49 pm

Hello

I found this to be a very difficult image.  Please give  me your complete comments and recommendations for this example.  Furthermore, if you can post your screenshots and your curve file(s) I would appreciate it.

This image involved creating a mask to enhance the background without effecting the skin, hair  and without making the boxes appear yellowish.  I decided to make two tries of this image, both in Lab, the first using the L channel as a mask and the second using the S Channel as a Mask. 

In the first one, Lab1, I used the L channel for a mask.  As the screenshots will show a red fringe appears around the hair of the face.  In the end, I did not use the L channel for the mask.  I over-saturated this image to show the shortcomings of this mask.  It did not mask the hair or eyes making a red fringe around the face and some red in the eyes.

In the second try, Lab2, I used the S channel for a mask.  This made the faces black, masked the face, eyes, hair which eliminated the red fringe.  I experimented with this image to keep the overall color including the skin while bring out the background.  What do you think?

In the end, I believe the S channel provides the best mask if not adjusted manually.  If I had used the L mask loaded it as a  layer mask, and manually  masked the hair, face, eyes and made sure that the boxes were masked  the L channel would have worked fine. 

I know this is off topic but how do I use layer masks with Smart Filters?

Please give me your opinion on both of this trys?  Again, please send some example screenshots along with curve files and a complete explanation.  I would appreciated any help you would provide.

Thank you
David
Attachments
20110126_example6-taipeitoystore_lab1-lchannelmask_screenshot1a-jpg
20110126_example6-taipeitoystore_lab1-lchannelmask_screenshot1a-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5815 times
20110126_example6-taipeitoystore_lab1_screenshot1b-jpg
20110126_example6-taipeitoystore_lab1_screenshot1b-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5815 times
20110126_example6-taipeitoystore_lab2-schannelmask_screenshot2a-jpg
20110126_example6-taipeitoystore_lab2-schannelmask_screenshot2a-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5815 times
20110126_example6-taipeitoystore_lab2_screenshot2b-jpg
20110126_example6-taipeitoystore_lab2_screenshot2b-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5815 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:48 pm

Hello

I found this to be a very difficult image.  Please give  me your complete comments and recommendations for this example.  Furthermore, if you can post your screenshots and your curve file(s) I would appreciate it.

The issue you point out is a problem when you over saturate a single color.  The way to hold this back is to find the part of the curve that is causing this halos and hold it back slightly.  My Mask is from the K channel inverted.. because I wanted to have brightness be the key.  If I choose a color channel at this point I will have to work to get the color opposite back into the image it will be blocked by my mask. 

This mask allows all the bright areas to be prevented from getting any change.  When I saturated the image, I too get the red fringe.  

My solution to that was to find the area of the A curve that caused the problem and hold it back from the adjustment. 

This image involved creating a mask to enhance the background without effecting the skin, hair  and without making the boxes appear yellowish.  I decided to make two tries of this image, both in Lab, the first using the L channel as a mask and the second using the S Channel as a Mask.

In the first one, Lab1, I used the L channel for a mask.  As the screen shots will show a red fringe appears around the hair of the face.  In the end, I did not use the L channel for the mask.  I over-saturated this image to show the shortcomings of this mask.  It did not mask the hair or eyes making a red fringe around the face and some red in the eyes.

In the second try, Lab2, I used the S channel for a mask.  This made the faces black, masked the face, eyes, hair which eliminated the red fringe.  I experimented with this image to keep the overall color including the skin while bring out the background.  What do you think? 

Personally I find the S mask too coarse for this kind of correction.

I know this is off topic but how do I use layer masks with Smart Filters?

I just tried this out in PS CS5 and I had no trouble copying the mask to the PS layer after it was made a smart object.  My process was:

• Create a layer

• Make the layer a smart object

• add a mask to the layer  

• open CM on the smart layer.

• Create the Mask in CM and copy to the clip board using the CM copy command.

• close CM and paste the mask to the smart layer.

• Go back into CM on the smart layer and check the scroll this time so PS remembers the smart settings.

Please give me your opinion on both of this trys?  Again, please send some example screenshots along with curve files and a complete explanation.  I would appreciated any help you would provide.

I am very sorry this took so long...I intended to answer you quickly and this fell into the black hole that can be my task list sometimes...
Please ask more questions..
Greg
Attachments
screenshot005-jpg-3
screenshot005-jpg-3 (181.78 KiB) Viewed 5815 times
screenshot006-jpg-4
screenshot006-jpg-4 (98.44 KiB) Viewed 5815 times
screenshot007-jpg-4
screenshot007-jpg-4 (102.95 KiB) Viewed 5815 times
screenshot008-jpg-2
screenshot008-jpg-2 (263.66 KiB) Viewed 5815 times

Return to “Curvemeister 101 - December 2010”