Week 5 Example 1 - Black Tassels

This is the discussion board for the December 2010 CM 101 Class.
dkrassen

Postby dkrassen » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:56 am

Hello.

This was a very useful exercise.  It explained masks with respect to Curvemeister in a very complete and informative manner.  I learned a great deal from this first exercise. Is there a way to use Smart Filters to remember the mask channel as well as the regular channels of the selected mode?

With respect to Example 1 - Black Tassels, this example taught me much.  In reality, how often will a photo match exactly to one of Curvmeister's channel masks with curves adjustment; I suspect a selective cleanup is often needed so you would have to load the mask as a layer mask and adjust the mask accordingly?    One other question, in your hints video you show a way to select a mask  and then use arrow to scroll through each of the other channel masks, I am having difficulty replicating this feature - exactly how did you do this?

Please give me your advice on this example?

Thank you
David
Attachments
20110122_example1-blacktassels_lab1_screenshot1-jpg
20110122_example1-blacktassels_lab1_screenshot1-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5290 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:17 am

Hello.

This was a very useful exercise.  It explained masks with respect to Curvemeister in a very complete and informative manner.  I learned a great deal from this first exercise. Is there a way to use Smart Filters to remember the mask channel as well as the regular channels of the selected mode?

Mine remembers the Mask in Smart Filter mode.  CS5 64 bit.  I'll try to check the 32 bit version as well.

With respect to Example 1 - Black Tassels, this example taught me much.  In reality, how often will a photo match exactly to one of Curvmeister's channel masks with curves adjustment; I suspect a selective cleanup is often needed so you would have to load the mask as a layer mask and adjust the mask accordingly?

That is answered with a qualified .."it depends"...If I am trying to hold back over-saturated tones there is often very little I need to paint on the mask. It is pretty flexible.  I try to get as close as possible without going to the layer mask.  It usually helps you to get as close as possible first.

One other question, in your hints video you show a way to select a mask  and then use arrow to scroll through each of the other channel masks, I am having difficulty replicating this feature - exactly how did you do this?

I believe the keystroke was set up in the config that way.  You can set up your own short cuts in the configuration menu

Please give me your advice on this example?

The mask for this image is too tight.  You might want to let some of the shadows show through the mask a bit.  The tassels are a tinge red and the shadows are as well..
Play around with the mask curve a bit and see if you can have the shadows the same tone as the tassels.

Thank you
David

You are quite welcome.
Greg
Attachments
screenshot001-jpg-15
screenshot001-jpg-15 (101.98 KiB) Viewed 5290 times

dkrassen

Postby dkrassen » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:44 pm

Hello.

Given that I have more time than I thought I would have to complete this class, I decided to give the Black Tassels example another try - this time with Smart Filters.  I created  two hue clocks on the image; one for the tassels and the other for the tassels' shadows.  On the hue clock for the tassels it points towards the R while for the tassels' shadows' it points between R and Y - WHY?  I found that when I tried to include the tassels' shadows in the mask, other areas of the image would also be included.  Perhaps, the best method would be to create the mask with the tassels' shadows, load it to a layer mask, and adjust the layer mask manually.  I still would like the tassels as well the tassels' shadows to be blacker but I am not sure how to do this - What would you suggest? 

Thanks
David
Attachments
20110124_example1-blacktassels_lab2-channelamask_screenshot2a-jpg
20110124_example1-blacktassels_lab2-channelamask_screenshot2a-jpg (124.41 KiB) Viewed 5290 times
20110124_example1-blacktassels_lab2-_screenshot2b-jpg
20110124_example1-blacktassels_lab2-_screenshot2b-jpg (219.77 KiB) Viewed 5290 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:19 pm

Since the majority of the red not in a tassel or shadow is very small you can edit it out without too much loss...

See shot1 for My mask.

Then Shot 2 for the final image...
There are many different ways to do this...this is just one among them....
Greg
Attachments
shot1-jpg-9
shot1-jpg-9 (299.73 KiB) Viewed 5290 times
shot2-jpg-5
shot2-jpg-5 (297.86 KiB) Viewed 5290 times

Return to “Curvemeister 101 - December 2010”