Steve wk3 3 skin tones

This is the discussion board for the December 2010 CM 101 Class.
sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:39 am

Sorry, I am a little out of order.

On the curves box, there is a scroll next to the settings wrench.  What does that do?  It recalls some curves from somewhere.

Also, no big deal, but F1 does not call help.

As far as the exercise goes, I tried to work with the saturation settings.  I noticed that there is a wide range of "acceptable" skin tones if you look at the hue pointer only. With comparing the hue clock length and the angle, the options are fewer, Some color spaces get there easier. 

Attachments
sj33-jpg-2
sj33-jpg-2 (999 Bytes) Viewed 4457 times

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:58 am

Well, I took another cut at it.  After going over the solutions, Mike (?) said that cmyk is a good space for skin correction.  I used Medium Black.

I guess it is better because:

1.  there is a black channel to limit color moves.
2.  The sweet spot of 12 to 1 is almost half way between M and Y.  In RGB, the R is directly there and the G and B pull it move obliquely (if there is such a word).  The G and B pull back saturation.
3.  The C directly affects the saturation.

Is that a factor?
Attachments
sj32cmyk-jpg
sj32cmyk-jpg (224.27 KiB) Viewed 4457 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:20 am

The problem with skin is really the total variation possible even within the same person...therefore a range is better than an exact value..
Skin is one of the most subjective objects...we all know what looks bad but finding acceptable is a bit tougher...

Cyan is usually bad in Skin tones unless they are African. Cyan definitely is a large part of the saturation in Skin...
There are all kinds of formulas out there for good CMYK mixes for skin tones. 
Your observations are fairly close to being "in line" with some of those formulas..
The Black component is really useful for the tonality but the black should not effect the color casts...

The Scroll icon is for using CM as a smart filter. 
Because of the way PS handles the smart objects Mike has to tell CM it is being "smart" and the scroll is how you do that.
hmmm I'll ask Mike about the F1 issue...that should work...

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 - December 2010”