Skin Tones: Advanced Work Flow

This is the discussion board for the December 2010 CM 101 Class.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:02 pm

When you work on skin tones in CM one of the biggest hurdles is knowing what "Skin Pin" to set.  I have created a few resources for you to use and build upon. 

The first is a JPG image that I have posted that has an extended range of skin tones for you to choose.
You will need the ID and Password to get to this image.

www.curvemeister.com/downloads/Class/greg/pinning_skin_tones/skin_tones.jpg

The next is a set of pins that I have posted in the Pins Area. Pins.txt needs to be copied to your pins folder.
The Jpg is available there too but in a smaller version.

http://www.curvemeister.com/forum/index.php?topic=1667.0

Lastly is the work flow...

www.curvemeister.com/downloads/Class/greg/pinning_skin_tones/pinning_skin_tones.pdf

A special thanks to Ganna for the wonderful example of needing skin tones corrected.

Greg

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:04 am

I noticed that pinning changes the points of the curve so that they match the pin.  The hue clock hands will point in the same direction as the pin's hue clock.  But the luminosity does not change.

A blue jeans pin would be good.

Besides checking the length of the hue clock hand, is there a better way to check saturation?  What numbers should I be looking at?  I have installed a clock watcher and will monitor the S of HSB.  Generically, my biggest mistakes have been over saturation. 

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:54 pm

I hair color unreliable?  Is black hair black?

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:58 pm

A qualified depends...
I would say a black haired person would have what we call REALLY.. really..dark Brown. 
But I am sure having just typed this that I am wrong. 

I think at that point it matters not if the color is 100% Black because the inks and pixels used to produce it are not perfect either...

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 - December 2010”